On Wednesday at the Verizon Center the Wizards held their official press conference to celebrate forward Otto Porter re-signing to a new max contract, extending his time in Washington for four more years. Later this summer, they could be doing something very similar for guard John Wall.
Wall and the Wizards remain in discussions about a new contract worth around $170 million over four years, a deal that would keep him in D.C. through his age 32 season. On Wednesday, team president Ernie Grunfeld said those negotiations are continuing.
"We're moving forward. We're still talking about that. There's no urgency to it. Obviously, we would like to have John finish his career here," he said.
[RELATED: Re-signing Otto Porter was never a doubt for Wizards]
Wall addressed the issue to CSN's Chris Miller in Las Vegas during one of the team's Summer League games. He suggested the two sides were close, that only the finer details had to be ironed out.
As Grunfeld noted, they don't feel pressure to do anything soon. Under the collective bargaining agreement, their offer is on the table until the beginning of the season.
Wall has to decide between taking this deal or betting on himself for next summer. He is under contract for two more years but another All-NBA selection would allow him to make over $200 million in his next deal.
[RELATED: Wizards Tipoff podcast - New NBA jerseys, will LeBron leave?]
Despite the NBA season just getting underway, the Association is still looking at a few rule tweaks.
According to a report from Bleacher Report's Howard Beck, the NBA will look at tweaking how they call two fouls: "aggressive" closeouts and when shooters initate contact to a shot to draw a foul.
The former has been a growing issue in NBA games, and, according to Beck, was brought to the attention of league offices after Golden State Warriors center Zaza Pachulia slid his foot under San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard during Game 1 of last year's Western Conference Finals.
The Wizards had to deal with closeout injuries of their own last season. Last March, Orlando Magic forward Terrance Ross apologized to Bradley Beal after hurting Beal's ankle on a closeout:
RELATED: WIZARDS ANNOUNCE 2017-2018 TRAINING CAMP ROSTER
The Wizards released their 19-man training camp roster on Thursday, including their two players signed under two-way contracts and two veterans joining the team on training camp invites.
Devin Robinson of the University of Florida and Michael Young of Pittsburgh are the two two-way players. They were signed as undrafted free agents following the 2017 NBA Draft. Under the NBA's new system of two-way deals, they will spend the majority of their time in the G-League with an alotment of 45 days at the NBA level.
The two veterans on training camp invitations are combo guard Donald Sloan, a five-year NBA veteran who played last year in China, and Carrick Felix, who last played in the NBA in 2013-14 with the Cavs and spent last year with the Long Island Nets of the G-League.
Here is the full roster:
PG John Wall
SG Bradley Beal
SF Otto Porter
PF Markieff Morris
C Marcin Gortat
C Ian Mahinmi
PF Jason Smith
PG Tim Frazier
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Mike Scott
SG Jodie Meeks
PG Tomas Satoransky
SG Sheldon Mac
C Daniel Ochefu
PF Chris McCullough
SF Devin Robinson
PF Michael Young
PG Donald Sloan
SG Carrick Felix
Wizards training camp begins Sept. 26 in Richmond, Va. For a full training camp preview, check out our Wizards Tipoff podcast:
[RELATED: PODCAST: CHENIER ON GETTING HIS JERSEY RETIRED]
SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE WIZARDS STORIES