Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 11, 19 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.
Earlier this week I looked at the top five quarterbacks the Redskins will face this season. Here are the top five running backs on the schedule according to yards gained in 2014:
1. DeMarco Murray, Eagles (1,845 yards, 1st in NFL)—He ran up a good chunk of his rushing total last year at the expense of the Redskins, rolling for 241 on 39 carries in two games with the Cowboys. Was it that Dallas O-line that was mostly responsible? We’ll get some insight into that when we see Murray twice this year in a new uniform.
2. LeSean McCoy, Bills (1,319 yards, 3rd)—This thorn in the Redskins’ side (807 yards rushing vs. them in 11 games) was traded to the other conference but the luck of the schedule draw has the Redskins facing Buffalo this year. Washington actually did a better job against him last year than they have in the past, yielding 110 yards on 41 carries in two games to the Eagles back, an average of just 2.7 yards per carry.
3. Matt Forte, Bears (1,038 yards, 12th)—His 3.9 yards per rushing attempt average was the lowest of any back who finished in the top 20 in yards. But he was quite dangerous as a receiver, catching 102 passes for 808 yards (7.9 avg.). He will test the coverage skills of the Redskins’ linebackers when the teams meet in December.
4. Mark Ingram, Saints (964 yards, 14th)—The Saints traded away their 2012 first-round pick to move up to take Ingram in the first round in 2011. It appeared to be a mistake as he never gained more than 602 yards in any of his first three seasons. It still may prove to have been a bad move but his career could be on track after a solid 2014 season.
5. Chris Ivory, Jets (821 yards, 18th)—His carries in New Orleans dried up when they brought in Ingram, so the Saints shipped him to the Jets in 2013 in exchange for a fourth-round pick.
—It’s been 195 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 64 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 19; Preseason opener @ Browns 33; final cuts 56