Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, February 27, 12 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Here are the top five free agents from Evan Silva’s list of the top 150 free agents he recently published on Rotoworld who I think have a legitimate chance of signing with the Redskins. Note that these are necessarily the top five needs, just the best players on the list I think the Redskins will be interested in and who should be in their price range. And I'm not considering the team's own free agents.
26. (in Silva's ranking) DL Arthur Jones, BAL—Silva calls him a “classic five-technique 3-4 end”, which is exactly where the Redskins need help. Jones has a total of 8.5 sacks the last two years so he checks the pass pressure box as well.
31. G Geoff Schwartz, KC—He can play either guard spot or even right tackle but he’s best suited to playing right guard. That would be fine with the Redskins who could use some of his power blocking, mauling style. And at 6-6, 340 the era of the smaller, finesse O-line in Washington would be over with his arrival.
47. ILB Brandon Spikes, NE—He had a nagging knee issue last year but he should be good to go. Spikes is only a two-down player and the Redskins prefer their inside backers to play every down but they may have to settle and substitute.
49. FS Chris Clemons, MIA—Not a classic ball hawk with just four interceptions in 72 career games. But he is a solid last line of defense as one of the better coverage safeties in the game.
92. SS Mike Mitchell, CAR—Silva notes that Mitchell had a breakout season last season, his fifth in the NFL, “setting career highs in starts (14), tackles (66), sacks (3.5), pass breakups (8), interceptions (4), and forced fumbles (2).” And he hits hard.
—It’s been 60 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 192 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 12; Offseason workouts start 39; NFL Draft 70
In case you missed it
- One more year for Meriweather?
- Will the Skins target a returner?
- Kehl's knee is better but his future with Skins is uncertain
- Adam Carriker remains optimistic about Redskins future
- Redskins, Orakpo negotiations quiet as deadlines approach
- RG3 says he's excited about 'fresh start'
- The five tallest receivers at the NFL Combine