Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 1, 10 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Here are the Redskins’ five best free agent acquisitions since free agency began in 1993 as determined by their Approximate Value.
1. LB London Fletcher (2007-2013), AV of 73—This will come as no surprise, he’s among the best players of the last decade regardless of how acquired.
2. DT Cornelius Griffin (2004-2009), 47—Largely forgotten, Griffin was a rock at tackle on some pretty good Gregg Williams and Greg Blache defenses.
3. LB Ken Harvey (1994-1998), 46—One of the Redskins’ first free agent signees and still one of the best.
4. LB Marcus Washington (2004-2008), 42—I didn’t go into this thinking that it would be a repeat of yesterday’s list of the top linebackers. But if history repeats the Redskins should know where to go to fill their holes at the position!
5. C Casey Rabach (2005-2010), 41—He was a solid player who helped clear the way for Clinton Portis for most of his time in Washington.
Next five: CB DeAngelo Hall, WR Henry Ellard, DE Andre Carter, DE Phillip Daniels, RB Terry Allen
Note: DT Dave Butz (AV 104) and LB Wilber Marshall (AV 60) were both technically free agent acquisitions, although the Redskins had to give up heavy compensation for each of them. Since they came to the Redskins prior to the free agent era they are not on this list but they deserve a nod.
—It’s been 62 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 190 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 10; Offseason workouts start 37; NFL Draft 68
In case you missed it