Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 22, 48 days before NFL free agency starts.
Here are five free agents the Redskins are very unlikely to sign:
1. TE Jimmy Graham, NO—A two-tight end setup with Graham and Jordan Reed would cause many sleepless nights for opposing defensive coordinators. It’s not going to happen. Saints GM Mickey Loomis recently said that the team will give him the franchise tag if they can’t sign him to a long-term deal before the tag deadline.
2. WR Eric Decker, DEN—The Redskins certainly could use a receiver who caught 87 passes for 1,288 yards to line up across from Pierre Garçon. Financial considerations are likely to prevent that from happening. As was explained here last week it would be very hard for the organization to add another high wide receiver cap number to Garçon’s.
3. S Jairus Byrd, BUF—The Redskins have needed safety help forever and Byrd has the tools to give them a defensive boost. But after being franchised last year Byrd will be looking to get paid some serious money. That’s likely to knock him out of the Redskins’ price range. Actually, chances are the Bills will end up slapping with the franchise tag again or they may sign him to a long-term deal. He’s worth more to them than he is to any other team.
4. OT Branden Albert, KC—Yes, the Redskins need an upgrade at right tackle. However, Albert is a left tackle and that’s a higher-paid spot than the right side. Albert will be looking for the big dollars and it would be foolish of the Redskins to pay both him and Trent Williams LT money.
5. CB Aqib Talib, NE—Of the players listed here Talib is the one I could be wrong about. He has history with Raheem Morris and Bruce Allen. They made a very strong bid to sign him a year ago. Now, however, it’s much more difficult to see Talib leaving the Patriots. He recently said, “I’ve really been in the NFL since November of 2012,” referring to the date he was traded from Tampa Bay to New England. And seeing how bad the Pats’ secondary looked after Talib exited the AFC title game with an injury, it’s hard to see Bill Belichick letting him go.
—It’s been 24 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 228 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 28; Offseason workouts start 75; NFL Draft 106
In case you missed it