Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, March 30, eight days before the start of offseason workouts.
Here are our five most popular posts from the week that was.
1. Allen: Thomas was going to start at safety last year—The GM’s revelation here created questions about the plans the team has for their fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft. There are possibilities but Thomas is still a question mark despite Allen’s “high hopes”.
2. Five free agents the Redskins can still pursue—The big names are gone and even a lot of the better players on the second and third tiers have signed. But there are still players out there who can help the Redskins. Eric Winston, anyone?
3. Porter a piece of the defensive backfield puzzle—The veteran cornerback will be wearing his fourth different uniform in four years. You can say he can’t hold a job but, on the other hand, he has no problem getting a job.
4. Five possible depth chart surprises for the 2014 Redskins—Tom Compton at right tackle? Kennan Robinson at Jack linebacker? With a new head coach there are always plenty of lineup surprises and we look at a few possibilities here.
5. Redskins are interested in DeSean Jackson—Since that was posted, the team’s interest has advanced to the point where Jackson will be visiting Redskins Park on Monday. Stay tuned, it seems likely that there will be much, much more on this topic in the coming days.
The best of the rest from the week:
Like Real Redskins on Facebook!
MOBILE – Jay Gruden provided a glimmer of optimism for Redskins fans freaked out about Kirk Cousins' contract situation.
"I totally anticipate him coming back to the Washington Redskins," Gruden said.
The Redskins coach talked from the sidelines of the Senior Bowl where he and much of the team's staff were scouting college seniors.
Gruden explained he had texted back and forth with Cousins a few times this offseason and looked forward to watching him play in the Pro Bowl.
Since Gruden named Cousins starter in 2015, the quarterback had passed for more than 9,000 yards and twice broken Skins franchise passing records.
Some indications of a long term deal for Cousins land in the $120 million range, but the Washington organization also has the flexibility to use the franchise tag this season at a cost of nearly $24 million.
MORE REDSKINS: Who else might want to trade for Cousins?
As should be expected when a team goes 8-7-1, there were plenty of good moments and a lot of frustrating times during the Redskins’ 2016 season. Over the next couple of weeks, Redskins Insiders Rich Tandler and JP Finlay will take detailed looks at the 10 best plays of 2016 and, to present a more complete picture of the season, the 10 worst.
No. 5 worst play of 2016
Redskins at Lions Week 7
0:22 left in Q4, Lions ball at the Redskins 18, 3rd and 10, Redskins leading 17-13
Matthew Stafford pass short left to Anquan Boldin for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
More Redskins: Podcast--All eyes now on Cousins
Tandler: The Redskins had just taken the lead on a nifty 19-yard option run by Kirk Cousins with 1:05 left to play. All they had to do was keep the Lions out of the end zone but the defense was not up to the task. In fact, it was laughably easy for Stafford. The first three times he dropped back he completed passes for 23, 14, and 20 yards and just like that the Lions were in the red zone. It looked for a minute like the Redskins might hang on as two passes went incomplete. But on third down Stafford found Boldin open inside the five and the defense couldn’t get there quickly enough to keep him out of the end zone.
Related: Gruden's fate hinges on Manusky
Finlay: 65 seconds was all the 'Skins defense needed to preserve a win by holding the Lions without a touchdown. 65 seconds away from a five-game win streak, and knowing what we do now, a playoff berth. The Redskins defense couldn't stop Stafford, or Boldin, and lost in Detroit. A gut wrenching loss as the momentum on the Washington sideline seemed incredibly high just minutes before when Cousins ran in what looked like the game-winning score.
10 best plays countdown
10 worst plays countdown
RELATED: 2017 NFL MOCK DRAFT 1.0
Want more Redskins? Check out @JPFinlayCSN and @Rich_TandlerCSN for live updates or click here for the #RedskinsTalk Podcast on iTunes, here for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!