Here is what you need to know on this Friday, September 6, three days before the Redskins open up their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
1. The Eagles’ Cary Williams and Riley Cooper got into a scuffle in practice yesterday. As you can see from the video from CSNPhilly.com, it wasn’t exactly a knockdown, drag-out affair.
Williams was one of the few Eagles who did not toe the harmonious company line after Cooper was caught on tape yelling a racial slur. “I think there’s no place for that word in anybody’s language, in anybody’s mouth or off anybody’s tongue, whether you’re black, white, green, purple, blue,” Williams said soon after the tape was uncovered. “It’s still the same meaning, it’s still a harsh word.” They both said things were “cool” later that afternoon but the situation bears watching.
2. If you had said a year ago that Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III would be playing in a Monday night opener and neither quarterback was asked to compare and contrast himself to his opposite number it would have been a major upset. But during Griffin’s press conference on Wednesday and Vick’s conference call with D. C. area reporters earlier that afternoon such a question was not asked. Vick’s name did not come up in RG3’s presser and Vick was asked to comment on Griffin only regarding coming back from injuries.
3. Trent Williams talked about the moments before coming out of the tunnel before a game. You hear from retired players who say that this is the kind of thing the miss the most.
It's electric. You never forget it. It's a feeling that is hard to describe but once you feel it you'll never forget it. I'm not yelling but it's kind of hard to stay quiet. You're so hyped. The game can't come fast enough once the smoke starts coming out and they call your name. It's just a rush, man.
4. Adam Carriker was not exactly emotional when he talked to reporters in the locker room for the first time this calendar year but he sounded very, very determined. Tarik has the post on it here. Him talking about swinging at things with a baseball bat during his bad days was pretty powerful. I don’t know how the saga will turn out but it’s hard not to root for the guy.
5. It’s hard to complain about the Redskins’ injury report. Only three players listed and two of them, Barry Cofield (hand) and Kirk Cousins (foot) practiced fully. Only Brandon Meriweather (groin) was limited. Yes, that’s groin, not knee. Mike Shanahan said that the knee is fine and that the groin is a new and unrelated injury. For the Eagles two reserves, CB Brandon Hughes (hand), T Dennis Kelly (back), were held out of practice.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins had 31 sacks last year and nine of them (29 percent) came in their two games against the Eagles.
—It’s been 240 days since the last Redskins game; there are three days until the next one
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Packers 9; Lions @ Redskins 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; player availability and Mike Shanahan press conference after practice (approx. 1:30)
Morris makes the running game go
In case you missed it