Update 10:30 am: Chick Hernandez of Comcast SportsNet has reported that Cooley has passed his physical and is officially a member of the Redskins.
Earlier this month, free agent Chris Cooley said he was content with his post-football life but quickly added that he would entertained an offer from the Redskins if his former team gave him a call.
That call came yesterday.
With Fred Davis sidelined for the season after suffering a torn Achilles’ tendon in Sunday’s loss to the Giants, the Redskins intend to re-sign the tight end, according to an NFL source. The deal is pending Cooley passing a physical, which is expected to be conducted Monday.
Cooley, a former fan favorite in Washington, has remained in Northern Virginia after being released in training camp and has done some broadcast work.
Although he's been out of the game for two months, Cooley could be a viable alternative to Davis, who entered Sunday’s game as the Redskins’ leading receiver.
Cooley was tapped for two Pro Bowls during his eight-season career with the Redskins. He has 428 career receptions for 4,703 yards, but was slowed last season by a litany of injuries, suiting up for only five games and finishing the 2011 campaign with eight receptions for 65 yards.
When Cooley was released in August, Coach Mike Shanahan left the door open to bringing back the 30-year-old veteran, whom Shanahan said was interested in catching on with another team as a starter. The Redskins, meantime, had committed to Davis as the starter and Logan Paulsen and Niles Paul as the other tight ends.
Cooley resisted signing with another team – and now it appears he’ll get the opportunity he really wanted all along.