RICHMOND—The Redskins are in the second and final year of the $36 million salary cap penalty the NFL imposed in 2012. They had their available cap money reduced by $18 million both last year and this season.
As a result, they are very tight against the cap. According to the NFL Players Association website, the Redskins are about $1.34 million under the cap.
Right now, the cap number only counts the Redskins’ top 51 players in terms of salary cap charges. But when the final cuts are made on August 31, all 53 players plus those on injured reserve and the PUP list will count against the salary cap. In addition, the team needs to have at least $800,000 set aside to pay players on its practice squad.
That will create quite a crunch for the Redskins. However, General Manager Brucke Allen said on Friday that the cap situation will not force the team release any players for financial reasons.
“We’ll keep the best 53 players,” said Allen. “We’ll probably have to renegotiate some contracts and maneuver around it, but we’ll absolutely keep the best 53.”
He also said that effects of the cap penalty will be felt beyond 2013.
“That salary cap penalty will hurt us for a number of years,” he said. “It’s just not those two years because of the repercussions of it down the road.”
For example, if the Redskins need to renegotiate contracts in order to get under this year’s cap and push cap dollars into future seasons, their ability to spend down the road will be limited. Also, unspent cap dollars are credited to the following season so the Redskins will have less to roll over than they otherwise would.