Quick Links

Justin Williams gives bobblehead concessions speech

Justin Williams gives bobblehead concessions speech

Professional atheltes are some of the biggest competitiors around so you know it must hurt when one of them has to accept defeat. Yet, Justin Willimas was forced to do just that.

In November, the Caps held a fan vote to determine the bobblehead for the team giveaway this year. The choices were incredible.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-capitals/caps-fans-vote-3-phenomenal-bobbleheads-election-night

Braden Holtby won the vote and his bobblehead will go to fans on Tuesday in the team's home game against the Calgary Flames.

With the giveaway date nearing, Justin Williams gave a concession speech in which he congratulated Holtby, or at least, he congratulated the bobblehead.

That must have been a tough day for Williams.

On a personal level, it was also a tough day for me. His was clearly, clearly the best bobblehead and I was stunned he lost. I mean, come on, look at that hair!

RELATED: Caps reassign rookie as they welcome back Burakovsky

Quick Links

Brett Connolly reportedly agrees to terms on a new deal with Caps

Brett Connolly reportedly agrees to terms on a new deal with Caps

Capitals winger Brett Connolly has agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Monday night.

Connolly earned $850,000 in 2016-17 on a one-year deal.

RELATED: Caps issue qualifying offers, Connolly not tendered

The 25-year-old finished the season as a healthy scratch for the final six games of the Pittsburgh series. During the regular season, however, the former first rounder enjoyed a breakout, scoring a career-high 15 goals in 66 games, despite averaging just 10:41 per game—the lowest ice time total among Washington’s full-time forwards.

On Monday afternoon, the Caps announced that they had tendered qualifying offers to seven restricted free agents—Evgeny Kuznetsov, Dmitry Orlov, Andre Burakovsky, Philipp Grubauer, Chandler Stephenson, Liam O’Brien and Travis Boyd. Connolly did not receive an offer, but it was believed at the time that the sides were closing in on a deal.

Although the season ended under less than ideal circumstances for Connolly, both the player and the team had remained hopeful of reaching an agreement.

“I'd like to have him back; he's a young guy who still has some upside,” GM Brian MacLellan said last month. “I thought he had a very good year this year.”

MORE CAPITALS: Development Camp: 5 players to watch

Quick Links

Caps issue qualifying offers to RFAs, Brett Connolly not tendered

Caps issue qualifying offers to RFAs, Brett Connolly not tendered

The Capitals have extended qualifying offers to seven players, including forwards Evgeny Kuznetsov and Andre Burakovsky, defenseman Dmitry Orlov and backup goalie Philipp Grubauer, the team announced Monday.

By issuing the one-year tenders, the Caps secure the right of first refusal or draft pick compensation should a player sign an offer sheet with another team.

Bottom six-winger Brett Connolly did not receive a qualifying offer. The sides are negotiating, CSN is told, and the team still expects to re-sign him. If no deal is in place by July 1, however, the 25-year-old becomes a free agent.

RELATED: Development Camp: 5 players to watch

Connolly scored a career-high 15 goals in 66 games last season, his first in Washington, but was a healthy scratch in the second round of the playoffs.

MacLellan said last month that the Caps and Connolly’s agent have been close to an agreement “a couple of times” and that he views Connolly as “a young guy who still has some upside.”

On Saturday, MacLellan indicated that negotiations with the team’s RFAs are progressing.

“Hopefully we’ll get a few of them done in the next few weeks,” MacLellan said, speaking at the draft.

He added: “We’re working at ‘em. As we get closer to the deadlines, a little more urgency might come in and hopefully we’ll hopefully get them done.”

The deadline for player-elected salary arbitration is July 5. The deadline to accept qualifying offers in July 15.

MacLellan said in May that he’d be open to signing cornerstone youngsters Kuznetsov and Orlov to long-term extensions. Meanwhile, Burakovsky, Grubauer and Connolly are candidates to receive bridge deals as they continue to prove themselves.  

Also on Monday, Washington extended qualifying offers to forward prospects Liam O’Brien, Chandler Stephenson and Travis Boyd. All three were recalled from Hershey last season, though Boyd did not appear in a game.

Minor league defensemen Darren Dietz and Cody Corbett did not receive qualifying offers and, thus, become free agents on Saturday.

MORE CAPITALS: Four 2017 draftees among prospects attending development camp