Quick Links

Capitals' Kevin Shattenkirk discusses the play that led to his suspension

Capitals' Kevin Shattenkirk discusses the play that led to his suspension

Kevin Shattenkirk said he takes responsibility for the hit that led to his two-game suspension and feels fortunate that Los Angeles defenseman Kevin Gravel was not injured.

“I have to take responsibility for the hit,” said Shattenkirk, who was assessed a charging minor. “I made a bad read. I thought he was coming in at a different angle and I’d have a cleaner hit, and he went another route. It’s on me at that point to adjust or slow up and not make that hit.”

“More than anything,” the Caps defenseman continued, “it’s fortunate that [Gravel] is not out and it wound up being more of my fault and no one else had to suffer for it, really, other than my team, which for me hurts the most.”

Shattenkirk served the first game of the ban Sunday against Anaheim and will miss the second game Tuesday night when the Western Conference-leading Wild visit Verizon Center.

It’s the first time in Shattenkirk’s seven year career that he’s been disciplined by the league.

Shattenkirk said he explained his position in a brief conference call with representatives from the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Sunday afternoon. Then, about an hour later, he received a call from Caps General Manager Brian MacLellan, who delivered the bad news.

“They have a formula that they have to stick to and some boxes that get checked off on certain hits,” Shattenkirk said. “Unfortunately, my hit checked off a few too many boxes in the criteria that they use to judge those situations.”

He added: “Looking at a lot of the other suspensions that have been handed out, that’s kind of a similar amount to what’s been done before.”

With regard to the hit, Shattenkirk indicated that he probably was trying to do too much.

“We didn’t have any sort of altercations earlier in the game,” Shattenkirk said of Gravel, who was stunned by the high hit but remained in the game. “Really, it was me just trying to make an aggressive play on my dump [in]. Just dumping the puck and having four minutes left [in a one-goal game], I wanted to try to make a difference and try to go make an offensive read.”

Shattenkirk, who also forfeited more than $47,000 in salary, is eligible to return Thursday against Nashville. He said he hopes to pick up where he left off as continues to adjust to a new team.

“It’s certainly not ideal,” he said of losing two games in that process. “I was really starting to get into a groove with these guys. And it’s a tough time for the team right now, so I wish I was more a part of it.”     

MORE CAPITALS: Power Rankings: Caps go cold

Quick Links

Maples Leafs interested in trading for former Capital Nate Schmidt, per new report

Maples Leafs interested in trading for former Capital Nate Schmidt, per new report

Nate Schmidt, freshly claimed by the Las Vegas Knights in the NHL Expansion Draft, is now drawing interest from the Toronto Maple Leafs, according to a report from TVA's Louis Jean. 

Given the wheeling and dealing around the expansion draft, it's certainly possible the Knights chose Schmidt with plans of sending him to Toronto all along. 

But the eyebrow-raising part of this report is the supposed asking price – a second-round pick. The Capitals almost certainly could have negotiated a better deal with Las Vegas to keep Schmidt. 

George McPhee, general manager of the Knights, signed Schmidt as an undrafted free agent in his previous role as Caps GM. 

McPhee was quoted before the expansion draft as saying other teams could negotiate to hold onto their players. And Schmidt's potential to be a top-four defenseman as soon as next year should have incentivized Washington to do whatever it took to secure his future in D.C. 

So either this report is questionable or the Capitals weren't willing to give up more than Toronto (a second-round pick) to keep Schmidt. 

MORE CAPITALS: Mahoney suggests Djoos could compete for roster spot

Quick Links

Capitals Faceoff Podcast - Say it ain't so!

Capitals Faceoff Podcast - Say it ain't so!

JJ Regan and Jill Sorenson react to Nate Schmidt getting claimed by Vegas and talk about what that means for the Caps' plans this offseason. Plus, Tarik El-Bashir calls in from Chicago to get his reaction from the team and talk about what their plan is for the upcoming entry draft.

Like what you hear? Be sure to subscribe on Apple podcastsAudioboom and Google Play and give us a good review! Maybe we'll even read it on the air. For the latest Caps coverage be sure to follow @CSNCapitals@TarikCSN and @JJReganCSN on Twitter.

More Capitals: NHL releases Capitals' 2017-18 regular season schedule