Robert Griffin III says being deactivated for the final three games of last season was not only strange but, in his mind, unprecedented in the history of the NFL.
“Last year -- the way I refer to it -- and really what happened was Coach [Mike Shanahan] brought me into his office and said he was shutting me down for the rest of the year,” Griffin told Comcast SportsNet’s Chick Hernandez on Thursday. “A lot of people say I was benched, but I was really shut down. Or, if you want to have some fun with it, I was sent to the offseason.”
At the time of the controversial decision, the Redskins were 3-10 and Griffin was struggling to recapture his pre-injury form. Shanahan explained that he made the move in an effort to protect Griffin, who had been sacked 24 times in the previous five games, and ensure that he would enter the offseason healthy.
RELATED: No knee brace for RG3]
Griffin gritted his teeth and accepted the decision.
Four-and-a-half months later, he sounds as though he still can’t believe it actually happened.
“I’ve never been a part of anything like that, never heard of anything like that in the history of the league,” Griffin said. “Yeah, I got to see things in a different light, those last three games and truly understand some of the things that happened to me. And what’s going to happen moving forward.”