Quick Links

Phils' Ruiz suspended 25 games after positive test

201211271547568539820-p2.jpeg

Phils' Ruiz suspended 25 games after positive test

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Add catcher to the Philadelphia Phillies' needs this offseason.

All-Star Carlos Ruiz was suspended Tuesday for the first 25 games of next season following a positive test for an amphetamine. The 33-year-old catcher had a career year in 2012, hitting .325 with 16 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games.

``I am sincerely regretful for my mistake in taking a prohibited stimulant,'' Ruiz said in a statement issued by the Major League Baseball Players Association. ``I apologize to my teammates, the Phillies organization and the Philadelphia fans. I will serve the imposed 25-game suspension to begin the season and I look forward to returning to the field and working toward bringing a championship back to Philadelphia in 2013.''

Ruiz will be eligible to participate in spring training, including exhibition games.

``The Phillies fully support Major League Baseball's drug program,'' the team said. ``We are disappointed by the news of this violation of the program. We will support Carlos in an appropriate manner and move forward to achieve our goal to play championship-caliber baseball in 2013.''

Erik Kratz will likely begin the 2013 season as Philadelphia's starting catcher while Ruiz serves his suspension. Kratz, a career minor-leaguer, filled in nicely when he finally got a chance after Ruiz went down with a foot injury. Kratz hit .248, but had nine doubles, nine homers and 26 RBIs in only 141 at-bats. Kratz also threw out 45 percent of base-stealers (15 of 33).

Still, losing Ruiz hurts a lineup that struggled mightily last year. Ruiz moved up from his usual No. 8 spot and took over for an injured Ryan Howard as the team's cleanup hitter for a chunk of the season. He batted fifth after Howard returned in July.

The Phillies, who finished 81-81 after winning five straight NL East titles, have several holes to fill. Only Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins are certain regulars. Utley, though, didn't play until late May in 2011 and late June in 2012 because of chronic knee injuries.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. hopes to add a starting center fielder, another starting outfielder and a third baseman either through free agency or trades. Now he'll also need a backup catcher for Kratz for the first month. Brian Schneider served as the team's primary backup the last three seasons, but only batted .212 in 122 games.

The Phillies have two top prospects catching in the minors. Sebastian Valle hit .253 with 17 homers and 58 RBIs in 80 games at Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Tommy Joseph, acquired in the trade that sent Hunter Pence to San Francisco, hit .257 with 11 homers and 48 RBIs for the Giants' and Phillies' Double-A affiliates.

Ruiz became the eighth player suspended this year under the major league testing program, the second for amphetamines following Baltimore shortstop Ryan Adams. The eight suspensions are the most since 2007.

This had to be Ruiz's second positive test for a stimulant. An initial positive for a stimulant does not trigger a suspension, only that the player must undergo follow-up testing.

There have been 102 suspensions this year under the minor league testing program.

---

Follow Rob Maaddi on Twitter:https://twitter.com/RobMaaddi

Quick Links

Orioles reach agreements with Machado, two other stars

Orioles reach agreements with Machado, two other stars

On arbitration deadline day, the Baltimore Orioles reached agreements with three of their top stars, starting with third-baseman Manny Machado.

The Orioles also reached an agreement with starting pitcher Chris Tillman, who led the team in wins in 2016.

The Orioles also reached an agreement with closer Zach Britton. 

That means the Orioles didn't reach agreements with four players -- right-handed pitchers Brad Brach and Kevin Gausman, catcher Caleb Joseph and second baseman Jonathan Schoop -- and now all face arbitration hearings.

Stay tuned for more!

 

Quick Links

Orioles officially sign catcher Welington Castillo, move on from Matt Wieters

Orioles officially sign catcher Welington Castillo, move on from Matt Wieters

BALTIMORE – Free agent catcher Welington Castillo has finalized a $6 million, one-year contract with the Baltimore Orioles.

Castillo's agreement, announced Friday, includes a $7 million player option for 2018.

He hit .264 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 111 games with Arizona last season, when he made $3.7 million. The 29-year-old, who became a free agent when the Diamondbacks failed to offer a 2017 contract, is expected to take over from four-time All Star Matt Wieters, who became a free agent.

Wieters accepted a $15.8 million qualifying offer last offseason and hit .243 with 17 homers and 66 RBIs in 124 games. He was not given a $17.2 million qualifying offer last month.

Castillo represents a lower-priced option. The 29-year-old broke into the big leagues in 2010 with the Chicago Cubs and has also played with Seattle.

He has a .255 career batting average with 60 home runs and 230 RBIs over 509 games.

Wieters, the fifth overall pick in the 2007 amateur draft, has spent his entire career with Baltimore.

The switch-hitter is known for his ability to work with a pitching staff but has also been productive at the plate: He has a .256 batting average with 117 homers and 437 RBIs over eight seasons.

On Friday, manager Buck Showalter and GM Dan Duquette indicated Wieters' tenure with the Orioles is over. 

MORE ORIOLES: New Orioles catcher Welington Castillo has one big downside: framing