Quick Links

Orioles allow 1B Reynolds to become free agent

Orioles allow 1B Reynolds to become free agent

BALTIMORE (AP) The Baltimore Orioles have declined to offer a 2013 contract to slugger Mark Reynolds, a decision that allows the infielder to become a free agent.

Baltimore also declined to tender second baseman Omar Quintanilla and right-hander Stu Pomeranz. The moves were announced Friday night.

Reynolds hit .221 with 23 homers and 69 RBIs last season. His home run output was down from 37 in 2011 and his fewest since his rookie year in 2007.

Reynolds struggled at third base early last season and was moved to first, where he played exceptionally well.

Last month, the Orioles declined Reynolds' $11 million option for 2013, opting for the $500,000 buyout. Friday's move enabled Baltimore to avoid going to arbitration with Reynolds.

Chris Davis moves atop the depth chart at first base.

Quick Links

Tillman's rough start leads to the end of Orioles' five-game win streak

Tillman's rough start leads to the end of Orioles' five-game win streak

BALTIMORE—Chris Tillman had been magnificent. In his previous four starts, Tillman allowed four runs in 28 innings and won all four. 

On Tuesday night, Tillman gave up four runs in the third inning alone. 

Tillman’s search for his 15th win will have to wait at least another five days as the Orioles’ five-game winning streak came to an end in the Colorado Rockies’ 6-3 win before 23,677 at Oriole Park. 

After learning he hadn’t been selected to the All-Star Game, Tillman reeled off four straight wins. Those wins came just after three of his poorest starts of the season. 

Now, he can start on a new streak. 

The Rockies (48-52) scored four runs on five hits in the third, all on two-strike hits. 

Carlos Gonzalez had a two-run double and Trevor Story a two-run single. 

“Any situation you get in like that, long innings, you always feel like you’re one or two pitches away. I felt like we made a lot of good pitches that inning, made some pitches to get some outs, but you’ve got to give credit to them. They put some huge at-bats together, made some really good swings and I wouldn’t change a thing that inning. I missed with a couple but also made some really good pitches at the same time,” Tillman said. 

“We’ve talked about this before. When you’re getting in pitchers counts and not putting guys away, it’s frustrating, but you’ve got to go back and look at the positives. You got to two strikes and you’ve just got to find a way to put them away.”

Two more runs scored against Tillman (14-3) in the fifth on an RBI double by Nolan Arenado and a wild pitch by Tillman. 

“Chris, the pitches he elevated they didn’t miss. Very close to a better outing, he got through five. We just didn’t do much offensively,” manager Buck Showalter said. 

Tillman was lifted after five and replaced by Tyler Wilson, who was given a reprieve before game time. Wilson, who was summoned when Ubaldo Jimenez went on the paternity list, was kept on when he returned. He threw four perfect innings. 

The Orioles (58-41), who suffered a rare home loss, decided to keep 13 pitchers for now and jettisoned outfielder Julio Borbon instead. 

With the loss, the Orioles are still a gaudy 37-15. They had won a season-high six straight at home. Their fifth winning streak of five or more games overall came to an end. 

Colorado started Chad Bettis (9-6). On Aug. 17, 2013, Bettis allowed eight runs—six of them unearned—in 2 2/3 innings in Baltimore. 

Bettis was much sharper in his second outing against the Orioles. He allowed two runs, on an Adam Jones’ two-run home run in the fifth inning, and just four hits in six innings. 

The Orioles trimmed the lead to 6-3 in the eighth. Scott Oberg walked Jones, who took second on Hyun Soo Kim’s infield out and third on Manny Machado’s single. 

Boone Logan struck out Chris Davis, who is now 0-for-23, and threw a wild pitch to score Jones. Mark Trumbo popped out to end the eighth. 

There have been a number of similar streaks for Davis in his Orioles career, and it always seems as if they end with a barrage of home runs.

“He’s going through a period where he’s not stating the obvious- doing what he’s capable of,” Showalter said. “You got to stick with him and trust the track record. He’s frustrated with it, believe me. He’s here early. Sometimes you can try too hard. I know how bad he wants to be the contributor he’s capable of being.”

Carlos Estevez pitched the ninth for his ninth save.

While Davis isn’t swinging well, Adam Jones is playing well. He’s either scored or driven in all six Orioles runs this series. 

He walked twice and now has 27 bases on balls this season, nine away from his career high. 

“No, I have not changed as a hitter. I just, I don’t know, man. I still think I swing a lot, and I still think I swing out of the zone a lot. I’ll take the walks if 3-2 is really outside or in or up or down. It just has to be something I really can’t reach for me to take it,” Jones said. 

NOTES: Kim was 1-for-3 in his first game since July 10. He was on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. “I felt good that I’m heading in the right direction. I’m trying to find the right mechanics to be in the ballgame again,” Kim said through his translator. …The Orioles end their homestand on Wednesday night. Jon Gray (6-4, 4.12) faces Dylan Bundy (3-2, 3.30). … Jimenez will start at Minnesota on Thursday night. 

RELATED: BACK FROM PATERNITY LEAVE, JIMENEZ EAGER TO GET BACK ON MOUND

Quick Links

Back from 'tiring' paternity leave, Jimenez eager to pitch again

Back from 'tiring' paternity leave, Jimenez eager to pitch again

BALTIMORE—Ubaldo Jimenez is back with the Orioles. His wife, Marivi, delivered the couple’s first child, a daughter named Jimevi on Saturday night. 

“It feels good. It was a wonderful experience for me to be part of. It’s something that you only get your first daughter once. But it’s good to be back. Those three days took a long time,” Jimenez said.

His wife gave birth a few weeks ahead of schedule. 

“It’s been pretty rough. You never know what’s going to happen when your wife goes into labor. You have to wait a long time and there’s a lot of things you aren’t sure about, especially doing it for the first times. It’s tiring, you don’t sleep a lot. But it’s a wonderful experience. 
 
Jimenez said that while he’s been on paternity leave, he’s snuck in a couple of bullpen sessions. Manager Buck Showalter has said that Jimenez could start on Thursday in Minnesota, but Jimenez doesn’t know anything about it.  

“They haven’t told me. But if they give me the chance of course I’m going to be happy to hopefully be there for the team and give them a chance to win,” Jimenez said. 

He hasn’t pitched since July 8, an extraordinarily long layoff.

“It has to be tough, I’ve never been through it before. Where I had to go two weeks without pitching. But it’s part of the game, I’ve been staying in shape, throwing bullpens. It’s not going to be that bad,” Jimenez said. 

While Jimenez was on the paternity list, his name was circulating in rumors involving a proposed trade with the San Diego Padres involving Melvin Upton, Jr. The Padres traded Upton to Toronto instead.

“I didn’t have a lot of time to be following that. I had my daughter. That was the No. 1 thing at the time. You know, rumors are going to be rumored. If something is going to happen, you never know. You have to be ready for whenever, but I’m part of the team and I’m looking forward to being there,” Jimenez said. 

Quick Links

Orioles will go with short bench after activating Kim

Orioles will go with short bench after activating Kim

BALTIMORE — For the moment, the Orioles are going with 13 pitchers instead of the 12 typically kept by American League teams.

In activating Hyun Soo Kim from the disabled list and Ubaldo Jimenez from the paternity list, the Orioles designated outfielder Julio Borbon for assignment. 

The move leaves Tyler Wilson, who was called up on Saturday to temporarily replace Jimenez — but hasn’t been used —on hand for long relief. 

The move also leaves the Orioles with a three-man bench. Ryan Flaherty, who is the only spare infielder, can also play the outfield.

Borbon, who was called up when Kim when on the disabled list a week ago, and hit .222 in five games, is valued in the organization, and the Orioles hope he passes through waivers and can be retained. 

His speed and defense came in handy when Adam Jones missed a game with back spasms last week. 

On Monday night, the Orioles optioned outfielder Dariel Alvarez, who was called up when Joey Rickard went on the disabled list on Friday, to Norfolk. 

Last week when Borbon’s contract was purchased from Nortfolk, the Orioles designated outfielder Henry Urrutia for assignment. Urrutia’s immediate future remains in doubt. 

RELATED: ORIOLES OPTIMISTIC FOLLOWING HARVEY'S SURGERY