Bowser Announces Mayoral Run

Harry+Thomas+Muriel+Bowser+DC+Council+Ethics+meeting.jpg

Bowser Announces Mayoral Run

The 2014 District of Columbia mayoral election campaign began in earnest Saturday, as D.C. Councilmember Muriel Bowser officially launched her candidacy. 

In a two-minute, 40-second YouTube video, the Ward 4 Councilmember said "For many months, people from all over the District have been talking to me in grocery stores, living rooms and churches, on the train, and whereever they see me about what's next for our city, urging me to step up and to speak out for them."

Bowser went on to say, "Corruption has robbed us of our focus, our momentum, our need to think big and to act swiftly," an apparent reference to the ongoing FBI investigation into the 2010 campaign of incumbent Mayor Vincent Gray.

A native of Northeast, Bowser won a seat on the Council in 2007 following a special election to replace then-Mayor Adrian Fenty and was re-elected in 2008 and again last year. She is the first candidate to openly declare a run for Mayor in this election cycle. Her Council colleague Tommy Wells (Ward 6) has launched an exploratory campaign, while Councilmember Jack Evans (Ward 2) is also believed to be considering a bid. Meanwhile, Gray has not said whether or not he will run for re-election.

NBC Washington political analyst Chuck Thies assessed Bowser's chances here earlier this week, saying in part:

"[O]n paper, she's as close to the perfect candidate as can be found in the District today.

"She is well received across black, white and Latino communities. She is young, but not inexperienced. She is a good public speaker who comes across as interested, caring and unpretentious. She is free from the baggage of scandal. She seems to be ready to put her shoulder to the wheel ... No one is unbeatable. Bowser, though, is an immediate front runner."

 

 

Photo Credit: Tom Sherwood, NBCWashington.com

Hardy won't put date on expected return

oscutinsundayrefframe_1.jpg

Hardy won't put date on expected return

BALTIMORE –- Buck Showalter knew J.J. Hardy was hurt during the fifth inning of Sunday’s game. A half-inning earlier, Hardy had fouled a ball off his left foot.

Showalter was removing Ubaldo Jimenez from the game, and he asked the shortstop about the foot. He said: ‘This is strange. It’s gotten real stiff and sore in a hurry.’’’

Hardy left the game after the fifth inning, and a CT Scan and MRI on Monday revealed a hairline fracture in his left foot. 

Neither nor Hardy nor the Orioles have spoken about how long he’s been out, but an industry source estimated on Monday he’d be out four to six weeks. For now, Hardy will be in a walking boot for two to three weeks. Others have estimated he could miss as long as eight weeks. 

“I had an idea after the game or when I came out of the game that something wasn’t right,” Hardy said. “Then, obviously with the X-ray, there was something they wanted to see closer. They kind of gave me a little heads-up that something could be wrong.”

Hardy missed 48 games last year and had two stints on the disabled list with a left shoulder and groin injuries. 

“After I fouled the ball off my foot, I didn’t think too much of it,” Hardy said. “I mean it hurt, but it wasn’t terrible. I jogged to first base and kind of felt the same thing, nothing terrible. Then when I got out in the field and the more I moved around, the worse it was getting instead of loosening up or going away. So, I knew it was something.” 

While he’s missed time, Hardy has never had a broken bone before. He’s not sure whether he’ll stay with the Orioles or rehab in Sarasota.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Hardy said. “I’ve been feeling as good as I can remember. I mean I don’t know the last time that I’ve felt this good. It’s definitely frustrating. I am just going to try and get back as soon as possible.”

RELATED: Chris Tillman starts as Orioles begin life without J.J. Hardy

Open court: Do any Pacers free agents fit Wizards?

markieffmorrisgrunfeldrefframe_1.jpg

Open court: Do any Pacers free agents fit Wizards?

Paul George came close to getting the Indiana Pacers out of the first round, but they didn’t have enough to get past the Toronto Raptors in Game 7. Still, it was a bounce-back season to elite status for him as he led them to 45 wins after missing the postseason a year ago.

Indiana has a few free agents worth a look for the Wizards, who will go into the offseason with as many as nine spots open.

The Wizards' goals are to get younger, more explosive and identify a few two-way players in the process to improve their 21st scoring defense. Adding players indiscriminately isn't an option because of the salary cap. The big fish (meaning, big-name free agents) will get signed first. Assuming the Wizards land one, even if it's not named Kevin Durant, they'll construct the roster with the remaining money with as many as eight other spots open. More than likely they'll retain 2-4 of their own free agents which will cut that number of open slots from 5-7.

They'll need a solid backup for Marcin Gortat at center, a true scorer behind Bradley Beal and a backup point guard for John Wall.

RELATED: PATRICK EWING IN MIX FOR SACRAMENTO KINGS COACHING JOB

These are Indiana’s free agents, in order of best fit:

Solomon Hill:  Look at the Pacers at the end of games, and this 6-7 forward who earned just $1.4 million is on the floor because of his improving three-point shooting ability and defense. When they needed someone to slow down Beal in the second half of their last meeting with the Wizards this season, they went with Hill and it worked. He’s unrestricted and has surprising athleticism. His numbers are modest (4.2 points, 32.4% three-point shooting) which should translate into him being more affordable. The key with Hill is upside. He’s a solid rotation player at 25.

Jordan Hill: A career backup center, Hill gets his production (8.8 points, 6.2 rebounds) through hustle and can be a spot starter in a pinch. He made $4 million and is unrestricted and won’t command too high of a pricetag.

Ian Mahinmi: In his first year as a starter, the 6-11 center played well enough to get a raise above $4 million and is unrestricted. Mahinmi, 29, probably will want a chance to continue starting rather than returning to a backup role (9.3 points, 7.1 rebounds).

Ty Lawson: At one time a starting quality point guard, he’s now relegated to a backup role and is unrestricted. If he can regain his form, he’d be a steal but there’s no indication that’s going to happen soon. Lawson made $12.4 million this season and won’t come anywhere close to that in the open market. Shoots in the low 40s from the field and low 30s from three-point range, not a good enough of an upgrade behind Wall.

MORE NBA: BLOWING THE WHISTLE: NBA REFS REMAIN INCONSISTENT WITH LATE-GAME CALLS

How will Letang's suspension alter Game 4 landscape?

2016-05-03t03-08-00.855z-1280x720.jpg

How will Letang's suspension alter Game 4 landscape?

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Penguins will be without defenseman Kris Letang when they face the Capitals for Game 4 of their second-round playoff series Wednesday night here at Consol Energy Center.

Letang has been suspended one game for his open-ice check to the head of Capitals left wing Marcus Johansson, who missed Tuesday’s practice with an upper body injury. 

“He’s the backbone of their defense,” Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner said of Letang, who leads the Penguins in average ice time with 29:13 a game. “He goes back for pucks and gets them out of his zone with a pass or a flip. He transitions the puck and logs key minutes on their PP.”

With Letang out of the lineup the Penguins likely will turn to Justin Schultz and Derrick Pouliot for their third defense pairing. The two young defensemen have combined for just two career playoff games. 

“He’s an important player for them,” Capitals right wing T.J. Oshie said. “He plays both sides of the puck, he plays big minutes for them. We lost a key component on our D line in (Brooks Orpik). Everyone has to make adjustments. It’s a big loss for them but they’ve got some players who can make a difference too.”

Capitals coach Barry Trotz said he doesn’t think Letang’s one-game suspension will change anything for the Penguins, but it will heighten the importance of the Capitals’ game plan of targeting Pittsburgh’s defensemen.  

“They have an identity,” Trotz said of the Penguins, “and they’ll try to play to their identity. Kris is a tremendous defenseman in this league. He’s a top guy. They’re just going to have to try to fill the void like we are with Brooks out.”

Unlike Game 2, when Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta did not return after taking a hit from Brooks Orpik, Johansson returned to play the second and third periods in Game 3 after absorbing the hit from Letang. Johansson finished the game with a career-high nine hits in the game.

“Nothing should lessen (the length of a suspension),” Trotz before the suspension was announced. “… I said a lot yesterday and I’m probably going to say not very much today. You know my thoughts from yesterday. I read all them.”

Trotz insinuated on Monday that the NHL gave Orpik a three-game suspension because the Penguins are their opponents.

As for what goes on inside the NHL Department of Player Safety, Wilson said it varies from hit to hit. He referenced Brayden Schenn’s chop at the back of Evgeny Kuznetsov’s right leg in the first round against the Flyers. If Kuznetsov was injured on the play, Wilson said he’s certain Schenn would have been suspended.

“The league looks at a million different things,” Wilson said. “They slow it down to a fraction of a second and see exactly where the contact was and they take into consideration how the other player’s doing. It’s unfortunate it has to come down to how the other player’s doing. It should be more black and white. But if you see a guy go down with a concussion, the hit is usually a little more severe.”

Wilson joked that he’d love for the NHL to turn back the clock 20 years and let players settle their grievances on the ice.

“I’d love to be able to go out there and drop the gloves and grab Letang, but it’s a new age,” Wilson said. “It’s not old-school hockey anymore.”