Dogs Rescued From Va. Puppy Mill Get Free Care

Puppies+Saved+From+Puppy+Mill+in+Luray_0.JPG

Dogs Rescued From Va. Puppy Mill Get Free Care

Dozens of puppies and dogs seized from a puppy mill in Page County are getting free medical care.

Caring Hands Animal Support and Education (CHASE) said the Caring Hands Animal Hospital of Merrifield was treating almost 100 canines on Tuesday.

CHASE said in a news release that the dogs and puppies are among 132 seized from a breeding facility at a home last week by the Page County Sheriff's Office. Four parrots also were taken.

The dogs had untreated eye infections, respiratory conditions, severe matting and dental issues, CHASE said. The parrots were in dirty cages and didn't have access to adequate water.

Caring Hands veterinarian Dr. Carole Richards told Northern Virginia Bureau Chief Julie Carey she's amazed at the disposition of the dogs despite their tough lives.

"These dogs have been so sweet," she said. "I'm actually really surprised. A lot of them, we know they haven't had a lot of contact with people, and they've been so good. We haven't had any biting dogs. They've been a little bit nervous, but they've just been super sweet. I don't think these dogs are going to have any problems finding loving homes because they're just so loving."

The owner surrendered the canines to the Animal Rescue Corps, which spent most of the holiday weekend seizing the animals, then making arrangements for them in what was dubbed Operation Liberty Dogs.

Once the dogs are medically checked out, they will be placed in foster homes where they will await their new permanent homes.

Copyright Associated Press

Photo Credit: Ambrose Vurnis, NBCWashington.com

Report: NHL and NHLPA agree to expansion draft rules

2016-04-30t02-11-47.451z-1280x720.jpg

Report: NHL and NHLPA agree to expansion draft rules

One of the biggest storylines in the NHL is over something that isn't even officially happening yet: The expansion draft. Even though the NHL is still deciding whether to expand the league by one or two teams, the rules surrounding an expansion draft were reportedly agreed to by the NHL and NHLPA on Friday, according to Gary Lawless of TSN.

The basic format of the draft was already known with teams being able to protect a certain number of players on the roster. The biggest question was over whether players with no-movement or no-trade clauses in their contracts would have to be protected.

We now appear to have some clarity on that issue.

Lawless reports that players with no-movement clauses will be required to be protected by their teams while players with no-trade clauses are not exempt from the draft and can be left exposed if a team chooses.

RELATED: ALEXANDER RADULOV PLANS ANOTHER NHL RETURN FOR 2016-17

A no-movement clause prevents players from being relocated involuntarily by trades, loans or waiver claims. A no-trade clause allows players to refuse a trade to either all teams or to a designated number of teams depending on the contract.

So what does this mean?

Teams will be allowed to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie or eight skaters and a goalie, but those protections must first go to players with no-movement clauses active prior to July 1, 2017, assuming the expansion draft were to take place prior to the 2017-18 season. Teams are under no obligation to protect players with no-trade clauses and those players can be selected in the draft.

According to General Fanager, the Caps have eight players signed into the 2017-18 season: Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Jay Beagle, Matt Niskanen, Brooks Orpik, John Carlson, Taylor Chorney and Braden Holtby. Of those eight, none of them have no-movement clauses. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Niskanen and Holtby have no-trade clauses, but the Caps would not be obligated to protect any of them.

Obviously, the Caps will probably protect those four players anyway, but the point is that no one will simply be exempt from the expansion draft - all players must be specifically protected by their team.

MORE CAPITALS: CONOR SHEARY CALLS HIT BY WILSON A 'HOCKEY PLAY'

Redskins draft a QB for the first time since 2012

grudendlinerefframe_1.jpg

Redskins draft a QB for the first time since 2012

For the first time since 2012 the Redskins have drafted a quarterback.

Washington took Nate Sudfeld out of Indiana in the sixth round (No. 187 overall). At 6-6, 234 he looks the part of an NFL quarterback coming off of the bus and he has a strong arm. However, when he starts to throw it is apparent that his technique and footwork need a lot of work. This is to be expected; he is available in the middle of the sixth round for a reason.

Sudfeld completed 60 percent of his passes in 2015 for 3,573 yards and 27 scores against seven interceptions. Those numbers are even more impressive when you consider that he did not have many weapons to work with with the Hoosiers.

He will become the Redskins’ developmental quarterback, and take a spot on the depth chart behind starter Kirk Cousins and veteran backup Colt McCoy.

Alexander Radulov plans another NHL return for 2016-17

2016-04-30t02-11-47.451z-1280x720.jpg

Alexander Radulov plans another NHL return for 2016-17

Russian hockey star Alexander Radulov plans to return to the NHL for the 2016-17 season, according to multiple reports.

Radulov, who will turn 30 in July, does not have the best reputation in North America given his tumultuous history in the NHL.

Drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004, Radulov played two seasons in the NHL before returning to his native Russia in 2008 after signing a deal in the KHL. The problem? He was still under contract with the Predators. He returned to Nashville in 2012 near the end of the regular season then went back to the KHL after the Predatores decided not to extend his contract.

Well, I hope you're ready for NHL Radulov 2.0

When trying to figure out where Radulov may go, you can go ahead and cross the Captials off that list given his history with Caps' head coach Barry Trotz who was Radulov's coach in Nashville.

Radulov's first return was a disaster even with six points in eight playoff games. He and Predators teammate Andrei Kostitsyn were caught breaking curfew the night before a playoff game and were suspended for the next game after Trotz found out.

When speaking at the time about the suspension, Trotz said, "We did not know before Game 2 [that Radulov and Kostitsyn broke curfew], we found out after Game 2, and hell would've had to freeze over if they would've played in Game 2...if I knew before."

Needless to say, Nashville chose not to extend Radulov's contract after the season. The idea of a Trotz-Radulov reunion feels about as likely as Wayne Gretzky coming out of retirment.

Where could Radulov go? The early speculation is Colorado as Patrick Roy was Radulov's junior coach in the QMJHL. If there was a coach willing to give the mercurial Russian another shot at the NHL, it would probably be Roy.

If you're hoping to see Radulov playing with Alex Ovechkin, however, chances are you'll have to wait for the World Cup of Hockey. Assumng Radulov makes the roster for Team Russia, that is.

RELATED: CONOR SHEARY CALLS HIT BY WILSON A 'HOCKEY PLAY'