NCAA clears Dez Wells to play for Terps

picture_1.png

NCAA clears Dez Wells to play for Terps

The University of Maryland men's basketball team received great news a few days in advance of the teams matchup against the University of Kentucky when the NCAA announced that sophomore transfer Dez Wells is immediately eligible to play.

Wells transferred to Maryland from Xavier University after being expelled following a sexual assault allegation. A grand jury declined to prosecute Wells on the charges amid controversy over how the school handled the allegations.  When Wells decided to transfer from Xavier to Maryland, the Terps asked the NCAA to waive the mandatory one-year period where transfers can practice with the team but not play in games.

The NCAA initially denied the waiver request, but Maryland appealed that decision. After considering the appeal, the NCAA Division I Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief decided to make Wells immediately eligible for competition.

“We’re excited for Dez because at the end of the day, the NCAA made the right decision,” Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said in a statement. “Our staff did an incredible job in putting this NCAA waiver appeal together on Dez’s behalf. Dez has been a welcomed addition, a great teammate, and has made a seamless transition in getting acclimated to our campus. This has been a long process for him and his family, and we’re grateful he can put it behind him and focus on being a student-athlete at the University of Maryland.”

The 6'5", 215 lb. Wells, who won Atlantic 10 Freshman of the Year honors during his lone year at Xavier, will fill a critical role for the Terps as a scorer with explosive athletic ability. The announcement comes at a great time for Maryland, with the matchup against the defending champion Kentucky Wildcats coming on Friday night. Wells should be able to replace some of the scoring load left vacant with the departure of last year's leading scorer Terrell Stoglin, who left the program over the summer after a rules violation.

“We’re very happy for Dez as the NCAA legislative relief process provided him with complete and fair due process,” Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson said in a statement. “Our staff was personally invested in the NCAA waiver and appeal process because it was in the best interest of our student-athlete. We’re pleased that Dez will be able to move forward and experience all the opportunities that come with being a student-athlete at the University of Maryland.”

Wells, considered the highest-rated recruit in the history of the Xavier program, averaged just under 10 points a game as a freshman at Xavier. Once news broke that Wells would leave Xavier, the recruitment process began anew. Wells selected Maryland over Kentucky, among other elite college basketball programs. Maryland assistant coach Bino Ransom, who had a relationship with Wells from his days as an assistant coach at Xavier, was instrumental in bringing Wells to Maryland.

What remains to be seen is how Wells will fit into the Terps lineup. In the teams only action so far this season, an uninspired 73-61 exhibition win over Division II Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Maryland trotted out a starting lineup of Pe'Shon Howard, Nick Faust, Jake Layman, James Padgett and Alex Len. With Wells' talent and experience, he could immediately enter the starting lineup over the freshman Layman. 

What Terp fans do know is that the Maryland team immediately improves with the addition of Wells, a player many scouts consider to be an eventual NBA player. Coach Turgeon now has even more depth and options on a team with an opportunity in an Atlantic Coast Conference that appears to be more open than in years past.

Some basketball pundits have said that with Wells Maryland becomes an NCAA tournament team with a chance at breaking into the Top 20. The Terps now have dynamic wing players with Faust, Wells and the freshman Layman.

The frontcourt, led by the 7-foot sophomore Len and supplemented by freshmen Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell, should see a little more room to operate from opposing defenses due to the speed and athleticism of Wells on the wing. Additionally, Maryland's shooters could be the recipients of collapsing defenses as Wells or Faust attack the rim, leaving open shots along the three-point line for Howard, Layman, or impressive freshman Seth Allen.

Wells also gives Turgeon another fast defender to apply pressure to the opposition. From any angle, the addition of Wells is a boost for the Terps.

The first test for Maryland will be a big one, playing No. 3 ranked Kentucky at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday night. By granting Wells immediate eligibility, that game suddenly becomes much more interesting. 

 

Projected Maryland starter announces transfer via social media

danmartinmaryland043016refframe_1.jpg

Projected Maryland starter announces transfer via social media

Maryland linebacker Abner Logan intends to transfer out of the program and expend his final year of college eligibility elsewhere, he announced via Instagram on Saturday. 

"I want to thank everyone that has stood by me and supported me throughout my career at Maryland," he wrote. "I especially want to acknowledge the unbelievable bond I've created with my brothers that will last a lifetime."

Logan, a native of Massachusetts, was a four-star recruit out of high school, rated as the 24th-best outside lineback in the country according to Rivals.com. He redshirted his first season at Maryland in 2012 and played in 12 games as a redshirt freshman in 2013. 

In May 2014, Logan was placed on disciplinary probation. He appealed the ruling in October of that year and was cleared to play in the team's final seven games. He did not play in 2015 after tearing his ACL during preseason camp.

He was projected to be a starter for Maryland in the linebacking corps under new head coach DJ Durkin in 2016. 

Players who attain their degree with college eligibility still remaining can transfer to another institution and play immediately under the graduate transfer exemption. The linebacker's message on Instagram appears to reflect that the grad transfer route is part of his plan going forward.

Report: 4 Terps invited to 2016 NBA Draft Combine

2016-04-07t22-18-34.789z-1280x720.jpg

Report: 4 Terps invited to 2016 NBA Draft Combine

Four Maryland Terrapins are among the players who have been invited to the 2016 NBA Combine, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com and multiple other outlets. Those four are Robert Carter, Jr., Diamond Stone, Jake Layman, and Melo Trimble.

Carter and Stone both chose to forfeit their remaining college eligibility and sign with agents during the draft process, while Layman expended his four years of eligibility at Maryland and signed an agent. That leaves just Trimble with a decision to make after he chose to declare for the draft but chose not yet to hire an agent. 

The Combine takes place May 11-15 in Chicago. Trimble will have 10 days after that, until May 25, to decide whether he will remain in the draft or rescind his name and return to Maryland for his junior season. 

DraftExpress.com currently projects Trimble as the No. 36 overall pick in the draftt, meaning he is slated as a second-round pick.

Coaches, commits react on Twitter to 5-star's Maryland pledge

danmartinmaryland043016refframe_1.jpg

Coaches, commits react on Twitter to 5-star's Maryland pledge

Thanks to a commitment from five-star defensive end Joshua Kaindoh of IMG Academy (Fla.), DJ Durkin has made one of the biggest recruiting splashes in recent program history and he has only been on the job for four months. 

In the immediate wake of the commitment, Maryland commits and coaches (in the fashion still permissable by the NCAA) made their feelings known on Twitter.

Defensive backs coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim

Defensive line coach Mike London

Offensive coordinator Walt Bell

Strength coach Rick Court

Four-star DL commit Cam Spence

Four-star QB commit Kasim Hill