Last week, Brooks Laich said NHL players “just need to be enticed a little bit by the other side.” That enticement has come in the form of a new proposal from NHL owners.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed in an email today that the league has extended the players a new proposal to end the NHL lockout, now in its 104th day.
“In light of media reports this morning, I can confirm that we delivered to the Union a new, comprehensive proposal for a successor CBA late yesterday afternoon,” Daly said. “We are not prepared to discuss the details of our proposal at this time. We are hopeful that once the Union's staff and negotiating committee have had an opportunity to thoroughly review and consider our new proposal, they will share it with the players. We want to be back on the ice as soon as possible.”
The NHLPA has scheduled a 3 p.m. conference call to discuss the offer. The NHL reportedly has altered its demand for player contract lengths from five years to six years – seven years if a club is re-signing its own player. The players said they would agree to an eight-year maximum for contracts. The owners have also agreed to move the contract variance from one year to the next from their original 5 percent to 10 percent. The players said they would accept a 25 percent variance.
The NHL’s offer is believed to be for 10 years with an opt-out clause after eight seasons. The $300 million “make-whole” provision would remain on the table and teams would be able to “amnesty” one player from their rosters prior to next season without a salary cap hit.
The NHL reportedly would also like to change the date of free agency from July 1 to July 10.
If the players accept the proposal the NHL salary cap would be $60 million this season and a shortened regular season could begin as early as the second week of January.