As many have said, Bruce Allen is casting a very wide net in the search for the Redskins’ next head coach. It also appears that he is going fishing (to mix a metaphor, or something like that).
He interviewed Rich Bisaccia, Cowboys special teams coordinator, on Friday. Today he is slated to talk to Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. And now Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that Allen might finish his tour of the NFC East by talking to some members of the Eagles staff.
Either offensive coordinator Pat Shurmer, the former head coach of the Browns, or Bill Lazor, Philly’s quarterbacks coach who served in the same capacity in Washington under Joe Gibbs, is expected to interview with Allen. It’s possible that both will.
To be sure, both are long shots even to make it to the next phase of interviews. But one of them could blow Allen away and moving into serious consideration. But even if that doesn’t happen Allen will gain some valuable insight from key members of a division rival’s coaching staff.
—We’re not sure how serious a candidate Jim Caldwell is for the job but he is taking the interview process very seriously. After bringing a breakdown of Matthew Stafford’s 2013 performance to his interview with the Lions, he reportedly came to Redskins Park yesterday similarly prepared. The Ravens’ offensive coordinator had a breakdown of every pass thrown by Robert Griffin III in 2013. Whether or not Caldwell advances in the process remains to be seen but there’s no question that Allen and company gleaned some valuable insight from Caldwell’s analysis.
—Fewell is set to be interviewed today. There is no word if the interview will take place at Redskins Park or elsewhere.
Status of known candidates as of 9 a.m. (according to multiple media reports unless otherwise indicated):
- Darrell Bevell, Seahawks offensive coordinator—Interview conducted Tuesday, Dec 31
- Sean McDermott, Panthers defensive coordinator—Interview conducted Saturday, Jan 4, per the Washington Times
- Jim Caldwell, Ravens offensive coordinator—Interviewed conducted on Sunday, Jan 6, confirmed by the Redskins
- Perry Fewell, Giants defensive coordinator—Interview set for this morning, January 6 per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.
- Rich Bisaccia, Cowboys special teams coordinator—Interviewed on Friday, Jan 3, confirmed by the Redskins
- James Franklin, head coach at Vanderbilt—Interview requested, date TBD