Here is what you need to know on this Monday, January 16, 52 days before NFL free agency starts.
—NFL franchise tag deadline 44
—NFL draft 101
—First Sunday of 2017 season 237
A six pack of thoughts to start out the week
1. I think that by the end of the week the Redskins will have two new coordinators. It looks like Matt Cavanaugh will be the offensive coordinator. Haven’t heard why Bill Callahan isn’t getting the nod; it’s possible that he likes what he’s doing now and he’s getting paid as well as many coordinators.
2. For a quick game with the $100 in imaginary casino chips on the defensive coordinator candidates, I’ll make Greg Manusky the favorite at $40 with Mike Pettine right behind him at $35. I’ll put $10 of the rest on Gus Bradley—we’ve heard of an interview with the Chargers but not anything like a hiring—and $15 on the field. The situation is fluid but that's the way it looks right now.
3. On November 21, after the results of Week 11, the Redskins were 2.5 games ahead of the Packers. They were also a half-game better than of the Falcons. Those two teams are now playing for the NFC title. It’s not how you start, or even how you do in the middle of the season. It’s how you finish.
4. I’m not much of a hockey guy but I think I’ve got to get down to the Verizon Center to see the Caps. They are blazing hot and you can tell it’s a great atmosphere at the VC.
5. I have a feeling that an announcement about a new stadium for the Redskins is going to happen sometime in the next few months. Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe can’t run again; he is out of office about a year from today. He’s going to want a legacy item and a state of the art stadium in the commonwealth would fill the bill. The process of approval, financing, and construction will take up most or all of the 10 years that remains on the FedEx Field lease.
More Redskins: The Redskins week that was
6. Normally having a lot of cap space to work with is a good thing but it may not be for Scot McCloughan this year. If the Redskins trim some veterans from the payroll they could go into free agency with around $70 million to spend. McCloughan would prefer to build through the draft. But the current situation almost forces the Redskins to spend. McCloughan took some heat for going into the 2016 season with $15 million in cap space and some unfilled needs on the defensive line and at safety. If they have issues again in 2017 and there is, say, $30 million just sitting there the noise will get louder. And it won’t just be coming from fans and the media; plenty of it will come from the offices of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder.
Tandler on Twitter
In case you missed it
- Scouting the playoffs: Free agent targets in Cowboys-Packers
- Possible Redskins free agent targets in Steelers-Chiefs
- The Redskins week that was—Who's going to run the defense?
- Redskins players live tweet wild Cowboys-Packers game
Sunday was a bad day for the Cowboys. They lost their divisional playoff game to the Packers, on a last-second field goal, no less. But then after the game, players and fans couldn't just pack up and go home.
Instead, they got stuck inside AT&T Stadium due to severe weather in the area. Weather forecasts showed potential tornadoes and dangerous flash flooding.
Offseason program started 272 days ago. Training camp started 171 days ago.— David Helman (@HelmanDC) January 16, 2017
Now, tornado warning in the wake of a heartbreaker. What a year pic.twitter.com/b0yz5HZtqT
Dismantling the goal posts 2 hours after game ended. Yes, that is same goal post for Mason Crosby's game winner. pic.twitter.com/yyc6e1W2kF— KristiCowboySideline (@KristiCowboy) January 16, 2017
Dak and Zeke chilling like the rest of us while tornado threat continues pic.twitter.com/vbAK3tYEpK— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) January 16, 2017
There was some silver lining for fans who got stuck, though. They got to see some of their favorite players one more time this season.
Zeke and Dak on field 2 hrs after game. Fans who are sheltering here during storm are chanting "we are proud" pic.twitter.com/JM0lvvV168— KristiCowboySideline (@KristiCowboy) January 16, 2017