A look at classic Redskins home playoff games

A look at classic Redskins home playoff games
January 4, 2013, 12:15 pm
Share This Post

Leading up to the winner-take-all game against Dallas last week, we took a look back at some of the best games in Redskins history. Today we’re looking at the history of playoff games in Washington, focusing on the games we didn’t cover last week. So, if you don’t see your favorite here, look at our posts on the best of Cowboys-Redskins, the biggest Redskins games in Washington, and the best prime time games in Redskins history.

Here is the best of the rest of Redskins playoff games in Washington

Redskins 16, Packers 3
NFC Divisional Playoff
Dec. 24, 1972

RFK Stadium—In the first postseason game in Washington in 30 years, the Redskins’ defense smothered the Packers running attack and Billy Kilmer and Larry Brown supplied just enough offense to move Washington to the NFC title game. George Allen challenged Green Bay QB Scott Hunter to beat him in the air by employing a five-man defensive front with the massive Manny Sistrunk posted at nose tackle. For Washington, Brown rushed 25 times for 100 yards to control the clock and field position. All the scoring the Redskins would need came in the second quarter on a 32-yard touchdown pass from Kilmer to Roy Jefferson.

Redskins 21, Vikings 7
NFC Divisional Playoff
Jan. 15, 1983

RFK Stadium—It t was a daylong Riggo drill at RFK, with John Riggins carrying 37 times for 185 yards as Washington ground the Vikings into submission to move to the NFC Championship game. The Redskins did all of their scoring early, putting up 21 points in just over 20 minutes before letting the defense stuff the Vikings and Riggins chew up the clock. The home team scored on two Joe Theismann touchdown passes, a three-yard toss to Donnie Warren and a 14-yard strike to Alvin Garrett, and a two-yard Riggins run on fourth down. The 14-point lead was plenty for the home team as the defense made key plays and Riggins battered the Vikings defense. When he was pulled from the game with a minute to go, Riggins acknowledged the cheers of the crowd with a deep, theatrical bow to each side of the stadium.

Redskins 51, Rams 7
NFC Divisional Playoff
January 1, 1984

RFK Stadium—If anyone was hung over for this New Year’s Day party, they didn’t need to stick around long to see the outcome decided. The Redskins bolted to a 24-0 lead after just 16 minutes of play and never took their foot off the gas. By halftime Washington was up 38-7, scoring on the ground with three short John Riggins touchdown runs and through the air on TD passes from Joe Theismann to Art Monk covering 40and 21 yards. The scoring pace slowed in the second half as the only touchdown came when rookie Darrell Green grabbed a tipped pass and flashed 72 yards to the end zone. The defense held star running back Eric Dickerson to just 16 yards on 10 carries.

Redskins 24, 49ers 21
NFC Championship Game
January 8, 1984

RFK Stadium—The Redskins built a big lead through three quarters but they almost fell victim to some Joe Montana magic before pulling out the game on a Mark Moseley field goal. Washington had a tough time getting things going offensively but built a 21-0 lead. John Riggins scored rushing touchdowns in the second and third quarters and a 70-yard bomb from Joe Theismann to Charlie Brown seemingly wrapped it up late in the third quarter. But Montana threw three touchdown passes in a span of seven and a half minutes and all of a sudden it was tied at 21 with seven minutes left to play. The Redskins got a drive together aided by a controversial pass interference penalty and Moseley, who had missed four field goals during the game, was good for 25 yards to send the Redskins to the Super Bowl.

Redskins 24, Falcons 7
NFC Divisional Playoff
January 4, 1992

RFK Stadium—What would have been a garden-variety rout by the powerful 1991 Redskins gained legendary status and a nickname through some spontaneous fan fun in the late going. In driving rain and swirling winds that incapacitated Atlanta’s air-based attack, the Redskins dominated throughout. Their superiority gradually showed itself on the scoreboard as they led 14-7 at halftime and 17-7 after three quarters. The clincher and signature moment came after Gerald Riggs scored on a one-yard blast with 6:32 left. The soaked fans that attended the game were given souvenir seat cushions on their way through the gates. When Riggs scored, one fan tossed his souvenir up in the air in celebration. A few others followed suit and, within seconds, the stadium air was filled with flying yellow seat cushions. Few who left the “Seat Cushion Game” with their mementos but all had a lifetime of memories.