Best Redskins games in Washington

Best Redskins games in Washington
December 27, 2012, 8:00 am
Share This Post

Is this week's match-up with Dallas the biggest game in FedEx Field history?

You may have heard that there is a pretty big game coming up Sunday night at FedEx Field. Yesterday, we looked at some of the greatest prime time games in Redskins history. Today, we turn our attention to the best games ever hosted by the Redskins at Griffith Stadium, RFK Stadium, and FedEx Field. The games are presented chronologically. 

(Note: no games involving the Cowboys are included, we will look at the very best Cowboys games here on Friday.)

Redskins 14, Bears 6 12/13/42, NFL Championship game, Griffith Stadium—The Bears were unbeaten and thought to be unbeatable going into the championship game. It did not start out well for the home team as Chicago’s Lee Artoe returned a fumble 50 yards to make it 6-0 in the second quarter. But the Redskins came back and a 38-yard touchdown pass from Sammy Baugh to Wilbur Moore gave them a 7-6 lead at intermission. In the third quarter Andy Farkas powered over the goal line from a yard out and the Washington defense made it hold up as the Redskins claimed their second NFL title in their six years in D. C.

Redskins 29, Cardinals 27 12/16/84, RFK Stadium—This game goes into the category of forgotten classics. The Redskins needed a win in the season finale to secure the NFC East title while a Cardinals win would give St. Louis (yes, that’s where they were based then) the division. On top of all that, Art Monk came into the game needing seven receptions to break the NFL record for catches in a season. Monk got the record in style, making a clutch catch for 36 yards to set up a Mark Moseley field goal. But there was no time to celebrate as the Redskins were in a tough game. The Cardinal rallied from a 23-7 halftime deficit to take a 27-26 fourth-quarter lead. Another big Monk catch converted a third and 19 and set up a 37-yard Moseley field goal with 1:42 left to give the Redskins the lead. The Redskins couldn’t claim the division crown, however, until they watched Neil O’Donoghue’s 50-yard field goal attempt fall just short as time expired.

Redskins 17, Vikings 10, 1/17/88, NFC Championship game, RFK Stadium—Joe Gibbs kneeling on the ground asking for divine intervention to keep the Vikings from sending the NFC title game into overtime. We don’t know if Gibbs got help from above or not but we do know that Wade Wilson’s pass bounced out of the arms of running back Darrin Nelson at the goal line—Darrel Green was there to make sure Nelson didn’t get into the end zone—and Doug Williams and the Redskins were Super Bowl bound.  Washington had taken a 17-10 lead just four minutes earlier on a seven-yard touchdown pass from Williams to Gary Clark. The Redskins defense got most of the credit for this one as they held the Vikings to just 76 yards rushing and came up with an interception in the third quarter and a key goal line stand just before halftime.

Redskins 41, Lions 10 1/12/92, NFC Championship game, RFK Stadium—The Redskins got off to a fast start, finished strong, and rolled to the Super Bowl by pounding the Lions. On the Lion’s first play from scrimmage Charles Mann got the sack and strip of Erik Kramer and three plays later Gerald Riggs powered into the end zone to make it 7-0. The Lions fought back, however, and the Redskins led just 17-10 at halftime. The second half belonged to one of the NFL’s best teams ever. Mark Rypien opened up the lead with touchdown passes to Gary Clark and Art Monk. Darrell Green put the icing on the cake with a 32-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Redskins 27, Lions 13, 1/8/00, 1st-round playoff game, FedEx Field—In what was the first and still the only playoff game ever at FedEx Field, the Redskins jumped to a 27-0 halftime lead and coasted to the win. Stephen Davis powered in for touchdowns from one and four yards out in the first quarter. Some Davis runs set up a Brett Conway field goal and a Champ Bailey interception led to another. The competitive game was over just before halftime after Brad Johnson hit receiver Albert Connell with a 30-yard touchdown pass. Things got sloppy in the second half but two second-half Lions touchdowns were mere window dressing.