Quick Links

Barring a setback, Garçon will play Sunday

garcon_stretching.png

Barring a setback, Garçon will play Sunday

Pierre Garçon said if he emerges from Saturday’s walkthrough unscathed, he intends to suit up 24 hours later against the Eagles.

It would be the first game action for the Redskins’ top wide out since Oct. 7.

“I feel all right,” he said after Friday’s practice at Redskins Park. “I should be good to go on Sunday. I’ll see how I feel [Saturday], and I should be out there giving it all I got [against the Eagles].”

Garçon has been battling a plantar plate tear in his right foot since the season opener in New Orleans. In recent weeks, the 26-year-old acknowledged that season-ending surgery was an option he had considered. But now it seems as though he’s decided to give it another try – even if it means playing at less than 100-percent.

“It sucks. It’s frustrating,” Garçon said of playing hurt. “But at some point you just got to go out there and play. You want to be 100 percent ... but you just have to do everything you can to beat your defender at [less than] 100 percent.”

The last time Garçon attempted to play was Oct. 14th against the Vikings. But after members of the coaching staff monitored Garçon’s warmup, Shanahan decided to scratch him from the lineup. He has not played since in the hopes that rest would help him get back onto the field and avoid the first surgical procedure of his football career.

Garçon said the decision Sunday again will be made by Shanahan.

“It’s all up to coach,” he said. “I’m always saying that I’m good to play. But [Coach Shanahan] has the final say.”

This will mark the second time Garçon has come back from the injury. But there’s a big difference this time, he said.

“It feels better than when came back against Tampa and Atlanta,” Garçon added. “There’s different ways of getting off the line.”

Asked why he feels its important to return, Garçon said: “I like playing football. I never really had an injury this long. Not playing makes me bored, sitting around the house, doing nothing and making the days longer. I love seeing the guys and trying to accomplish something together.”

Quick Links

Redskins' staring defense is sharp in small preseason sample of work

Redskins' staring defense is sharp in small preseason sample of work

Judging by the small sample size that the NFL preseason has become it looks like the Redskins’ starting defense is ready to go for the start of the NFL season.

The Redskins’ opponents had six possessions with their staring quarterbacks in the lineup, which usually means that those teams had all of their healthy starters in the game. In those six possessions the Redskins’ opponents mustered 53 yards of total offense.

As far as the starting quarterbacks, the Redskins didn’t face anyone who is bound for Canton five years after retirement. But there wasn’t a Case Keenum in the group either. Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Matt Ryan combined to complete six of 18 passes for 46 yards with no interceptions and no touchdowns. That comes to a combined passer rating of 33.3.

This is a major improvement over the 2015 preseason when starting quarterbacks were much sharper against the Redskins’ defense. Josh McCown, Matthew Stafford, and Joe Flacco completed 19 of 26 passes for 248 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. That’s a passer rating of 73.1. That’s not stellar but still effective.

This year the other teams apparently wanted to get the QBs some work and didn’t run a lot. The Redskins gave up 36 rushing yards on eight attempts. That’s an average of 4.5 yards per attempt. Over a year that would be an improvement over last year (4.8 per carry) but still well above the league average (4.1).

It’s hard to overemphasize the small sample sizes involved here. It would be a mistake to draw any sweeping conclusions from a few dozen snaps. But among the goals of the preseason are to look competent and, as Jay Gruden said, create some “positive vibrations”. The Redskins defense can check the boxes next to both of those.

Quick Links

Bryan Stork clarifies next move after days of speculation with Redskins

Bryan Stork clarifies next move after days of speculation with Redskins

After days of speculation if Bryan Stork would actually end up in Washington, the former Patriots center clarified his next move via Twitter. 

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan traded for Stork earlier this week after it became apparent New England intended to release the 2014 draft pick out of Florida State. It was unclear, however, if Stork would accept the trade to the 'Skins as he mulled retirement options. 

MORE REDSKINS: WASHINGTON STARTS CUTS EARLY BEFORE DEADLINE

Stork has dealt with a number of concussions in his two-year NFL career. After playing in a Super Bowl as a rookie, his 2015 season was limited by head injuries. 

Coming to the Redskins, Stork may have an opportunity to compete for playing time. Kory Lichtensteiger is installed as the starting center, but he struggled in the third preseason game against the Bills and was lost for much of the 2015 season to injury. 

McCloughan has openly said he wants big, tough guys up front on the offensive line. Stork - at 6-foot-4 and 310 lbs. - with a documented nasty streak definitely fits that bill. 

Whether or not Stork pushes Lichtensteiger for the starting spot - or even competes for the No. 2 center job with Spencer Long - the price for Stork is tough to argue. McCloughan gave up just a conditional seventh round pick to acquire the former New England starter. 

Quick Links

Redskins cut 10 players before Tuesday deadline

Redskins cut 10 players before Tuesday deadline

The Redskins have started the process of trimming their roster to 75 players by the Tuesday deadline. The team announced that 10 players have been waived.

  • T Al Bond
  • T Cody Booth
  • LB Shiro Davis
  • LB Ejiro Ederaine
  • CB Jeremy Harris
  • LB Willie Jefferson
  • WR Valdez Showers
  • WR Dez Stewart
  • WR Jarvis Turner
  • RB Kelsey Young

The only surprise on the list is Jefferson, who was thought to have a chance at an outside linebacker spot. But apparently the coaches are going to let Houston Bates and Lynden Trail compete for that spot.

The Redskins had 88 players counting against the 90 player limit. So with the 10 players cut today they are a 78, leaving three moves to make before 4 p.m. on Tuesday.