In Case You Missed It: World Cup Edition. The 2014 World Cup kicked off on Thursday in Brazil and like most world-televised events, it began with an opening ceremony that personified the host country's culture with elaborate costumes, traditional dances, and music. So if you didn't get a chance to watch, or you didn't catch everything the first time around, here are some of the best images from the opening ceremony.
1) Most of the costumes represented the country's natural beauty. Such as flower people.
And personified Araucária trees, a tree commonly found in Brazil's southern regions.
2) Other costumes represented the country's historic culture, such as this native Brazilian and his air canoe.
3) Music is a huge part of Brazilian culture which was shown through huge dancing instruments.
And traditional dances like "Frevo".
4) Speaking of music, Pitbull, JLo, and Claudia Leitte provided musical entertainment for the ceremony.
The trio did a great job but all people seem to be talking about is Pitbull and his tight pants.
Looks like he took some wardrobe advice from Jimmy Fallon.
"I got my tight pants on".
5) In all honesty these elaborate opening ceremonies are always pretty hard to follow and fully understand, but the standout moment of the opening ceremony was when a paraplegic teen kicked off the World Cup. Wearing a mind-controlled exoskeleton suit, the fan was able to stand, walk, and kick a soccer ball. The suit was developed by a Brazilian scientist who works at Duke University and is studying how to use brain waves to control machines.
Enjoy the beautiful game everyone!