Quick Links

Former AL MVP Tejada says he has deal with Royals

Former AL MVP Tejada says he has deal with Royals

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) Former AL MVP Miguel Tejada has reached a minor league deal with the Kansas City Royals and says he is ready to return to the majors.

The 38-year-old infielder got a one-year contract that will be worth $1.1 million if he makes the big leagues. There is an additional $400,000 in performance bonuses.

The six-time All-Star last played in the majors in 2011 with San Francisco, hitting .239 with four home runs and 26 RBIs in 91 games.

``I'm very pleased with this. The contract with the Royals is a done deal,'' Tejada told The Associated Press. `` I'm going to try to help this team and their younger players. I'm so happy because this is what I was aiming for, a chance to get back to the majors.''

Tejada played 36 games in Triple-A for Baltimore last season, batting .259 with no homers and 18 RBIs. He was released from his minor league deal on June 25 at his own request when he didn't see an opportunity to play for the Orioles in the near future.

Tejada has been playing for the Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican Republic Winter League. He says he lost 15 pounds during the summer.

``I believe I can be valuable for Kansas City in different facets. They haven't told me what specific role they have in mind for me, but what is important is that I'm healthy and I know that I can help,'' he said.

Tejada spent 15 seasons in the majors and was the 2002 AL MVP with Oakland. He is a career .285 hitter with 304 homers and 1,282 RBIs with the A's, Orioles, Houston, San Diego and the Giants.

Quick Links

Orioles reach agreements with Machado, two other stars

Orioles reach agreements with Machado, two other stars

On arbitration deadline day, the Baltimore Orioles reached agreements with three of their top stars, starting with third-baseman Manny Machado.

The Orioles also reached an agreement with starting pitcher Chris Tillman, who led the team in wins in 2016.

The Orioles also reached an agreement with closer Zach Britton. 

That means the Orioles didn't reach agreements with four players -- right-handed pitchers Brad Brach and Kevin Gausman, catcher Caleb Joseph and second baseman Jonathan Schoop -- and now all face arbitration hearings.

Stay tuned for more!

 

Quick Links

Orioles officially sign catcher Welington Castillo, move on from Matt Wieters

Orioles officially sign catcher Welington Castillo, move on from Matt Wieters

BALTIMORE – Free agent catcher Welington Castillo has finalized a $6 million, one-year contract with the Baltimore Orioles.

Castillo's agreement, announced Friday, includes a $7 million player option for 2018.

He hit .264 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 111 games with Arizona last season, when he made $3.7 million. The 29-year-old, who became a free agent when the Diamondbacks failed to offer a 2017 contract, is expected to take over from four-time All Star Matt Wieters, who became a free agent.

Wieters accepted a $15.8 million qualifying offer last offseason and hit .243 with 17 homers and 66 RBIs in 124 games. He was not given a $17.2 million qualifying offer last month.

Castillo represents a lower-priced option. The 29-year-old broke into the big leagues in 2010 with the Chicago Cubs and has also played with Seattle.

He has a .255 career batting average with 60 home runs and 230 RBIs over 509 games.

Wieters, the fifth overall pick in the 2007 amateur draft, has spent his entire career with Baltimore.

The switch-hitter is known for his ability to work with a pitching staff but has also been productive at the plate: He has a .256 batting average with 117 homers and 437 RBIs over eight seasons.

On Friday, manager Buck Showalter and GM Dan Duquette indicated Wieters' tenure with the Orioles is over. 

MORE ORIOLES: New Orioles catcher Welington Castillo has one big downside: framing