October 8, 2012: Comcast SportsNet to Present Maryland Madness Coverage Oct. 12

October 8, 2012: Comcast SportsNet to Present Maryland Madness Coverage Oct. 12

ONE-HOUR SHOW TO AIR LIVE ON CSN PLUS AT 7:30 PM, ENCORE ON COMCAST SPORTSNET AT 9 PM FOLLOWING LIVE COVERAGE OF TERPS MENS SOCCER AT DUKEBethesda, Md. (Oct. 8, 2012) Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic will present a special one-hour program, Maryland Madness presented by Wendys, covering the University of Marylands annual basketball tip-off event on Friday, Oct. 12. The show will air live on CSN Plus at 7:30 p.m. with an encore at 9 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet following the networks live coverage of the Terps mens soccer game at Duke (7 p.m.)Comcast SportsNets coverage of Maryland Madness will be highlighted by introductions of the 2012-13 Terps mens and womens basketball teams, along with head coaches Mark Turgeon and Brenda Frese, and their team scrimmages. The event, which was first held 41 years ago, will also feature the unveiling of the teams new uniforms. Other festivities planned for Maryland Madness include a student slam dunk contest which will be judged by former Terps football players Torrey Smith, LaQuan Williams and Josh Wilson and former basketball players Walt Williams, Juan Dixon and Dave Neal (subject to change) and performances by the spirit squad, dance team and pep band.Comcast SportsNet anchor and reporter Rob Carlin will lead the networks coverage live from Comcast Center in College Park, Md. He will be joined by former Terrapins star Christy Winters Scott and mens radio analyst Chris Knoche, who also contributes to the networks Terps coverage on CSNwashington.com and CSNbaltimore.com.For CSN Plus carriage and channel location, check with your provider or visit CSNwashington.com or CSNbaltimore.com.

Quick Links

Two Team USA Capitals set to hit earlier than expected

Two Team USA Capitals set to hit earlier than expected

T.J. Oshie and Matt Niskanen will return to practice on Sunday, which is a day earlier than expected, associate coach Todd Reirden announced Saturday.

John Carlson, however, will rejoin his teammates on Monday as originally planned.  

“The setup we had for them was one travel day and two days off,” Reirden said, referring to the Capitals’ plan for players returning from the World Cup of Hockey. “Those two guys both want skate tomorrow and practice tomorrow. John needs an extra day just to take care of some different stuff.”

Reirden said the three Team USA players won’t participate in Monday’s preseason opener against the Hurricanes or Tuesday’s game against the Canadiens.

“That’s way too soon, as much as I’d love to see them out there,” Reirden said. “We’re going to wait a little bit. …We’ll see as things go from there. Some of it hinges upon some younger players, too, and how they do with the opportunities that are in front of them.”

Team USA’s final World Cup game was on Thursday night. Capitals’ training camp opened on Friday.

“We’re thinking about the start of the season and what gets each of [the World Cup participants] ready for the start of the season,” Reirden said.

Quick Links

After bouncing around, Brett Connolly aims to find his game with the Capitals

After bouncing around, Brett Connolly aims to find his game with the Capitals

In the six years since Tampa Bay selected Brett Connolly with the sixth overall pick, the big winger’s numbers haven’t matched his draft status.

In fact, he hasn’t put up more than 25 points in a season.

But as he gets going with the Capitals — his third NHL team in two years — Connolly sounds optimistic that this will be the season he turns potential into offensive production.

“I think the style that they play here is going to play well into my hands,” Connolly said Saturday. “That’s kind of my game — skating, shooting, making plays. So far, so good. I like the way they play, their systems and their style. I think it’s a matter of putting it together consistently, and if I can do that, then I can have a good year, open their eyes and help this team win.”

The Capitals hope to tap into the upside Connolly was unable to show in Tampa and Boston. The Bruins did not extend the 24-year-old a qualifying offer this summer after he notched nine goals and 16 assists in 71 games last season. A few days later, Washington signed Connolly to a one-year, $850,000 contract on July 1.

“There were a lot guys this year that didn’t get [qualifying offers],” Connolly said. “I think the market in the league was a little bit deflated this year. It’s all a business. …I thought I was [going to be qualified], but things change. What are you going to do? I was fortunate Washington called right away and I didn’t really have to worry about it too much in the summer. As I said before, it was a no brainer. No matter what the money looks like, it’s the opportunity.”    

Associate coach Todd Reirden sees the deal being beneficial for the player and the team, which needs more offense from its bottom six forwards.

“We feel as an organization that he’s a guy [whose] game is on the rise," Reirden said. "We feel like we’re getting him at a good time. Sometimes players go through some difficult times and struggles and you can get real fortunate as an organization to pick this guy and get a bit of a gem. …Our system of play is designed for a player of his ability.”

Connolly said he hasn’t been told exactly where the coaches see him fitting into the lineup. But the next week is critical for him; with preseason games on Monday and Tuesday and four top-six forwards out due to the World Cup, it’s likely he’ll pick up some of those prime minutes at even strength and on the power play.

“He’s going to get an opportunity to show us what he can do,” Reirden said.  

Said Connolly: “My play is going [to determine] where I’m going to play. Just be a little bit more offensive, I think. They talked about the third line and [needing] the bottom six guys chipping in a little more. I’m a guy who can step into the power play and use my shot and chip in offensively. It’s just a matter of being good defensively.”

Connolly didn’t gloss over the fact that he hasn’t lived up to the hype. But he also made sure to use the word “yet” when asked about it.

“When you’re drafted high, there’s expectations,” he said. “Maybe it hasn’t happened yet. But I’m still very confident in my abilities. There’s been some good times. There’s been some not so good times. It’s just a matter of putting it together.”

MORE CAPITALS: NISKANEN, OSHIE AND CARLSON SET TO RETURN NEXT WEEK