From Comcast SportsNetTerrell Owens' NFL return lasted less than three weeks.Owens was released by the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, part of the league-mandated roster reductions from 90 to 75 players.The 38-year-old receiver posted a message on his Twitter account shortly before 11 a.m. that he had been released and the Seahawks made the move official in the afternoon."I'm no longer a Seahawk," Owens tweeted. "I THANK the organization 4 the opportunity, I'm truly blessed beyond belief. My FAITH is intact & will NOT waiver."Owens wasn't the only veteran to get cut by the Seahawks. Offensive linemen Deuce Lutui and Alex Barron both had their veteran contracts terminated, while Seattle waivedinjured defensive back Roy Lewis (knee), tight end Cameron Morrah (toe), defensive tackle Pep Levingston (knee) and linebacker Jamison Konz (shoulder).Owens signed a one-year deal with Seattle (No. 22 in APPro32) on Aug. 7, following a sterling workout that had coaches and Seahawks staff raving about how good he looked for having not played an NFL game in more than 18 months."We really liked the group that we assembled. Terrell came in here and busted his tail and he looked really effective right from the start," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. "But as we just took a look at our guys that are coming through the program and growing up with us we thought that it would be best for us to stay with those guys."Owens signed just before Seattle's first preseason game and made his debut in the second week against Denver. But his preseason performance was more notable for the passes he dropped than anything he caught.Owens dropped a potential 46-yard touchdown against Denver on a perfect throw from Matt Flynn. He failed to make a catch in any of his five targets against the Broncos and then had another glaring drop against Kansas City on Friday night.He finished the preseason with just two receptions -- a 40-yard catch from Russell Wilson where Owens had to slow down and lean back to haul in the pass and a 1-yard reception on a screen.For as impressive as his long catch was in Seattle's 44-14 win over the Chiefs, it served as Owens' only highlight in a Seahawks uniform.Owens was trying to make a comeback after not playing since Week 15 of the 2010 season while with Cincinnati. He sat out the entire 2011 season following surgery on his left knee and failed to receive any offers.Owens got the rust off this spring playing for the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League. He had 35 catches for 420 yards and 10 touchdowns while playing eight of 11 games, but was released and lost an ownership stake in the team in May.Owens, a third-round draft choice by San Francisco in 1996, has started 201 of the 219 regular-season NFL games he has played in his career. He has 1,078 receptions for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns -- the second most in league history.His nine seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving and 13 years with at least 50 catches rank third. His total receptions are sixth on the NFL career list. Owens spent eight seasons with San Francisco, two with Philadelphia, and three with Dallas before a pair of one-year stints with Buffalo and Cincinnati."I've been rehabbing and working out for the past year since the injury and that's all I've ever wanted since I've been out is another opportunity," Owens said following his first practice on Aug. 8. "That has been given to me by the Seattle Seahawks and again I am very grateful for that."Among Seattle's other cuts to reach the 75-man limit were wide receiver Phil Bates, running back Tyrell Sutton, cornerbacks Ron Parker and Donny Lisowski and offensive lineman Edawn Coughman.
BALTIMORE—For years, the Orioles have watched Adam Jones win games with big hits, superlative catches and wonderful throws. On Monday night, they watched him win it in little ways.
There was the RBI single on a ball he seemed merely to tap in the second inning. Then, there was the infield out in the seventh that tied the score, and finally, it was Jones scoring the winning run in the ninth when a former teammate couldn’t handle a rush throw on a simple grounder back to the mound.
Jones’ little ball proved to be big as the Orioles extended their winning streak to five games, and moved a season-high 18 games over .500 with a 3-2 win over the Colorado Rockies in 10 innings before 19,361 at Oriole Park.
It was the second straight time the Orioles won a game in their last at-bat.
In the bottom of the 10th, Jones led off with a single off Jordan Lyles (2-3). He raced to third on Jonathan Schoop’s single to right and scored when Manny Machado grounded back to the box. Lyles bobbled the ball for a moment and Colorado catcher Nick Hundley couldn’t handle Lyles’ throw home, and Jones scored the winning run.
“Adam takes a lot of pride in being an all-around player and he is,” manager Buck Showalter said.
Jones wasn’t being particular about socring.
“It doesn't matter how you score. As long as you win the game, that's all that matters,” Jones said.
Jones made his way from first to third on Schoop’s single, and that was big, too.
“That's called pride. Play the game hard, man. I can run. It's a situation where we need a guy on third base. I'm going to bust my tail to get there.”
Chaz Roe (1-0) pitched the 10th for the win. Mychal Givens and Zach Britton retired the seven batters they faced.
For the second straight game, Yovani Gallardo pitched into the seventh inning. He allowed two runs on five hits as the Orioles starters continue to pitch deep into games. In five of the last six, starters haven’t gotten outs in the seventh inning, something that wasn’t seen very much earlier in the season.
“The thing is, maybe we’re being more aggressive. I know that for myself. That’s what I’ve tried to do, the last two games, and the pitch count shows it. I’m being a little bit more aggressive with my first pitch and getting guys to swing the bat,” Gallardo said. “We all feed off of one another. I think it’s always a big help to have the guy in front of you go deep in the ballgame, and try to do the same thing or even better. It’s always a friendly competition, and that’s going to help and benefit in the long run as a team. You’ve just got to keep moving forward, stay consistent and hopefully we’ll do something.”\
Gallardo allowed a home run to Nolan Arenado to lead off the fourth.
In the second, J.J. Hardy scored on Jones’ single to give the Orioles a 1-0 lead.
With two outs in the seventh, David Dahl, playing his first major league game, singled and advanced to second on a wild pitch.
After a prolonged at-bat, Mark Reynolds singled up the middle to score Dahl. That gave Colorado (47-52) a 2-1 lead.
The Orioles (58-40) tied it at 2 in the bottom of the seventh. Reimold was hit by a pitch with one out. He moved to third on Dariel Alvarez’s double, his first hit of the season. Jones grounded to short, scoring Reimold.
Last week, the Orioles were sick with the flu and had an awful time in New York before winning the final game of the four-game series.
“We lost three straight and it was kind of like an apocalypse was happening here, so we're just grinding it out every day, happy with the results we're getting,” Jones said.
NOTES: After the game, the Orioles optioned Dariel Alvarez to Norfolk. Hyun Soo Kim will presumably be activated from the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday. Kim was 2-for-4 with a single and home run in his second rehab game at Bowie. He played six innings in left field. …The Orioles have five winning streaks of at least five games this season. … Jones passed Rafael Palmeiro for seventh place on the team’s RBI list with 703. … Reimold reached after manager Buck Showalter asked for a replay. The Orioles have now been successful on 13 of their 23 replay challenges this season, and their last five straight. … Chad Bettis (8-6, 5.31) faces Chris Tillman (14-2, 3.18) on Tuesday night. … Temperature at game time was 95 degrees, highest for a game this season. … Davis is 0-for-21.
MORE ORIOLES: WIETERS BACK IN ORIOLES LINEUP
The concussion suffered last year by Rams quarterback Case Keenum against the Ravens, and the way it was handled, surely played a part in new punishment announced Monday by the NFL for teams violating the league’s concussion protocol.
The Players Association and the league made a joint announcement about the new standards.
Under the new policy, teams could be fined anywhere from $50,000 to $150,000 for a first violation of the concussion protocol, or suffer loss of draft picks. For a second violation, the minimum fine will be $100,000.
Major concerns about enforcing in-game concussion protocol were raised during a November game last year at M&T Bank Stadium between the Rams and Ravens.
With just over a minute left to play, Ravens defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan sacked Keenum, and the back of his head slammed violently against the turf. Keenum held his head while lying on the ground and initially had trouble getting to his feet.
The Rams’ athletic trainer ran onto the field to check on Keenum, but he remained in the game. Keenum fumbled two plays later, and after the game, it was announced he had suffered a concussion.
The league investigated the Rams’ handling of the situation and the team was not fined. However, not everyone was satisfied, including NFLPA president Eric Winston.
“Show me someone that says, ‘No, the Rams did exactly the right thing,”’ Winston told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last year. “They didn’t. Everybody knows they didn’t. So there has to be discipline, right? Because when a player doesn’t do something that he’s supposed to do, he gets fined for that when it comes to health and safety.”
As a result, the NFL and the Players Association have agreed on punishment that could help protect players who have been concussed.
Becomng the latest focus of a TMZ scoop isn't a good thing. Two former Wizards -- Glen Rice Jr. and DeJuan Blair -- made their onto the site Monday.
Rice, a 2013 second round pick who played parts of two seasons with Washington, was arrested for robbery Monday. From TMZ:
More trouble for ex-NBA player Glen Rice Jr. -- the 25-year-old was arrested for robbery Monday morning in Georgia ... less than a year after he was shot in a bizarre gunfight at T.I.'s restaurant.
Here's what we know ... Rice was booked at 6:37 AM this morning for felony robbery, aggravated battery and possession of marijuana. He has since been released from custody.
The details surrounding the incident are unclear -- we're working on it.
By the way, Rice just completed a pre-trial intervention program stemming from the 2015 shooting incident.
As we previously reported, Rice was arrested -- after he was shot in the leg -- when cops say he was carrying 240 grams of weed and a bunch of cash. He was charged with weed and gun possession.
Unclear if this new arrest will affect that case.
Rice played 16 career games for Washington with the five during the 2014-15 season.
Blair signed with the Wizards in 2014 and remained with the franchise until February when he was shipped to Phoenix in the deal for Markieff Morris. The Suns quickly released the big man, who remains a free agent.
None of that involves the mention here. From TMZ Sports:
NBA player DeJuan Blair -- who played for the Washington Wizards last season -- was cited for misdemeanor battery against a woman at a Vegas club this weekend ... TMZ Sports has learned.
Las Vegas Metro PD has confirmed ... officers were called to Drai's nightclub at The Cromwell around 1 AM Sunday morning to respond to a report of a man who allegedly got physical with a woman.
The alleged victim told police ... she was arguing with Blair over the line into the club when he picked her up and tossed her off to the side. The woman was pissed and retaliated by striking him back -- before calling for help.
Sources tell us ... when cops arrived they checked security video and decided there was enough evidence to issue a citation to Blair for misdemeanor battery. He was NOT arrested.
However, cops tell TMZ Sports Blair was also issued a "trespassing warning" from the property and told to leave immediately.
The TMZ report cited a source that claims Blair "simply moved her out of the way when he was trying to get by her. Nothing more." The report also said the alledged victim is considering a lawsuit against Blair.