Jay Cutler admits he was wrong

840317.jpg

Jay Cutler admits he was wrong

From Comcast SportsNetCHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler acknowledged Tuesday that he was wrong to shove teammate J'Marcus Webb on the sideline during the loss at Green Bay last week.He has no second thoughts about yelling at him, however."I probably shouldn't have bumped him, I'll go with that," Cutler told WMVP-AM in Chicago. "As far as me yelling at him and trying to get him going in the game, I don't regret that. I shouldn't have bumped him, I'll stick to that."Cutler drew widespread attention for berating and bumping Webb, the starting left tackle, on the sideline and for making some pointed postgame comments after the 23-10 loss to the Packers on Thursday. National analysts such as Terry Bradshaw and Bill Cowher spoke out, and so did Bears defensive back D.J. Moore this week, saying the quarterback was wrong to go after Webb like that.Cutler looked great in a season-opening blowout over Indianapolis, finding new receiver Brandon Marshall often, but it was a different story last week. He threw four interceptions and got sacked seven times, an all-too-familiar sight for a quarterback who took a beating the previous two years under former offensive coordinator Mike Martz. His tirade against Webb and lack of remorse he showed in the postgame interview brought back questions about his leadership and demeanor.As for why the outburst happened at that particular moment, Cutler wasn't sure."I can't put a definite reason why it happened," he said. "It happened. It's an emotional game. I put a lot into playing quarterback, and I take it seriously. It's just one of the things that happened during the game. Since then, we've talked about it, and it's really behind us."Cutler discussed the incident "with the powers that be" and with the linemen individually. Did he apologize to Webb?"That's between me and J'Marcus," Cutler said. "We've talked. It's in the past. We're moving on. He's our left tackle. He's my left tackle, and I expect him each and every week to play at a certain level. And I think he expects himself to play that way, too."Webb will certainly have to do better, considering Clay Matthews went off for 312 sacks, but he wasn't the only Bears player who had problems. Marshall had just two catches and dropped a potential touchdown pass, yet Cutler consoled him after that.So why didn't Webb get similar treatment?"Everyone's different," Cutler said. "Everyone reacts differently. I've known Brandon for a long time. I've played a lot of football with Brandon (in Denver). I know what Brandon's capable of at a high level, and I know no one was more disappointed in that stadium or as a Bears fan than Brandon Marshall for dropping that touchdown. I know that genuinely in my heart."He also said the offense as a whole needs to improve, including himself. But if there are any lingering issues surrounding the incident, Cutler doesn't see any."We went out there (for practice on Monday), started preparing for St. Louis, had a crisp practice, put in some good stuff," he said. "I think in our building internally, we kind of circle the wagons. I don't care if you win, you lose, there's going to be criticism. There's always going to be something that someone's picking on, someone's trying to make a story out of."He was asked if he can lead the Bears. To that, Cutler said, "Without a doubt. Without a doubt."He was also asked about Moore's comments."He's entitled to his opinion and whatever he wants to say is up to him," Cutler said.Cutler disputed the idea that he lost his composure against the Packers, saying, mistakes by him and other players derailed the Bears. He said he knew what he was doing "as we were calling plays, and everything was going smoothly."In fact, he insisted he wasn't rattled."I'm actually proud of that game," he said. "I thought I fought. I thought I competed hard, made a few errant throws. But whenever we got what we were looking for, I put the ball on the money for the most part."

Quick Links

Redskins annouce list of 26 players who did not travel for Buccaneers game

Redskins annouce list of 26 players who did not travel for Buccaneers game

TAMPA — The Redskins did not bring the entire team to Tampa for their preseason game tonight.

A total of 26 players, most of the team’s starters and top reserves, stayed back in Washington.

They were not going to play in the game, which was rescheduled from tomorrow to tonight.

RELATED: REDSKINS VS. BUCCANEERS LIVE BLOG

Here are the players who did not make the trip:

  • 8 QB Kirk Cousins
  • 11 WR DeSean Jackson
  • 20 CB Greg Toler
  • 23 S DeAngelo Hall
  • 24 CB Josh Norman
  • 25 RB Chris Thompson
  • 26 CB Bashaud Breeland
  • 30 S David Bruton Jr.
  • 31 RB Matt Jones
  • 51 LB Will Compton
  • 54 LB Mason Foster
  • 61 G Spencer Long
  • 64 NT Kedric Golston
  • 71 T Trent Williams
  • 73 DE Ziggy Hood
  • 75 G Brandon Scherff
  • 76 T Morgan Moses
  • 77 G Shawn Lauvao
  • 78 C Kory Lichtensteiger
  • 80 WR Jamison Crowder
  • 85 TE Vernon Davis
  • 86 TE Jordan Reed
  • 88 WR Pierre Garçon
  • 91 LB Ryan Kerrigan
  • 92 DE Chris Baker
  • 94 LB Preston Smith

 

None of the names on the list is particularly surprising with the possible exception of Hood.

He has likely earned a roster spot but his inclusion in the group getting the night off was not expected. We will keep an eye on his situation as we move towards Week 1.

Quick Links

Kim batting leadoff for first time in pro career

Kim batting leadoff for first time in pro career

BALTIMORE—Hyun Soo Kim is batting leadoff for the first time in his major league career. Kim said through his translator that he couldn’t remember batting leadoff in South Korea, either. 

Kim is the third Oriole in the past five games to lead off for the first time. Steve Pearce led off on Sunday, and Jonathan Schoop led off on Monday night. 

It’s the second new situation for Kim in as many days. On Tuesday night, he was a ninth-inning defensive replacement for the first time.

“I felt nervous,” Kim said. “I made sure I didn’t make any mistakes out there—especially when the team is winning.” 

Adam Jones is nearing a return, manager Buck Showalter said. He’s missed five games with a strained left hamstring. Showalter said that he could have played Jones on Wednesday if he chose. 

Caleb Joseph will rejoin the Orioles from Norfolk for Friday’s game, but manager Buck Showalter said other callups haven’t been decided. He indicated that left-handed pitcher Brian Duensing, who’s on the 60-day disabled list will be added shortly. Some additional players may arrive Friday and others could be added Tuesday, the day after minor league seasons end.

Showalter hasn’t decided on additional coaches who will be recalled. 

NOTES: Chris Tillman pitched on flat ground again on Wednesday, and it went well. … Darren O’Day (shoulder) is proceeding well, but there’s still no estimate on his return. … The Orioles are sending seven players to the Arizona Fall League’s Peoria Javelinas. Left-hander pitcher Tanner Scott (Bowie), right-handers Jesus Liranzo and Jim Yacobanis (both Bowie), catcher Austin Wynns (Norfolk), infielder Adrian Marin (Bowie) and outfielder DJ Stewart (Frederick) will be joined by an additional pitcher to be announced.  

MORE ORIOLES: YOVANI GALLARDO NEEDS TO BE BETTER TO GET ORIOLES CLOSER TO FIRST

Quick Links

Orioles make another move; pick up outfielder Drew Stubbs on waivers

Orioles make another move; pick up outfielder Drew Stubbs on waivers

BALTIMORE — The Orioles have claimed outfielder Drew Stubbs on release waivers from the Texas Rangers 

Stubbs is 31, and in 39 games this season, has batted .259 with three home runs and six RBIs with the Rangers and Atlanta. 

To make room for Stubbs on the 40-man roster, the Orioles designated left-handed pitcher Kyle Lobstein for assignment.

Lobstein was acquired for left-handed pitcher Zach Phillips earlier on Wednesday. 

The Orioles hope that Lobstein and Ashur Tolliver, another left-hander who was designated for assignment when Lobstein was acquired, both pass through waivers and can be options in September for the team. 

Stubbs will report to the Orioles on Friday, and Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team may not be through making deals. Players acquired by midnight are eligible to play in the postseason.

“We have a couple of other discussions that we’re working on. We’ll see if those come to fruition. We are happy to address our outfield defense with a defender that can help us at a number of positions and also give Buck [Showalter] somebody off the bench that he can insert into the game that has a good chance to steal a base. He’s got a really good success rate in stolen bases over his career,” Duquette said. 

Stubbs has stolen eight bases this season without being thrown out. 

In his eight-year career with Texas, Atlanta, Cleveland, Colorado and Cincinnati, Stubbs has a .244 lifetime average. In 2010, he hit home runs and 77 RBIs with the Reds. Stubbs also strikes out often. In 2011, he led the National League with 205 strikeouts. 

“Since we lost Joey Rickard we’ve been looking for another outfielder. Particularly one that can play center field and the other outfield positions and play good defense,” Duquette said. 

Duquette wouldn’t address which players would be called up from the minor leagues for Friday’s game.