UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the two sides are close to finalizing a two-year deal worth between $12-13 million. Just the “finishing touches” remain. 5:24 PM: Amid rumors that other teams have offered Ichiro Suzuki two-year deals Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the 39-year-old outfielder is expected to…
Mets pitcher Matt Harvey didn't only duck the media on Tuesday night after his start, he also avoided them on Wednesday morning before the team's series finale at Nationals Park. Reporters approached him, but he declined. At some point he'll talk, of course, but he has essentially been delaying the inevitable.
The backlash for Harvey in New York for not talking was strong. One Mets columnist even said the move speaks to Harvey's entitlement and went into detail about how he's been enabled by the Mets.
Nationals manager Dusty Baker admitted on Wednesday that it may have made things easier for Harvey if he had addressed the media. And now Mets teammate David Wright has said about the same.
"Accountability is big and I think [Harvey] just had a bit of a lapse in judgement," Wright told the New York Post. "I think the consensus is we should all be accountable for what we do on the baseball field."
Wright has been with the Mets for 13 years and has a strong voice in their clubhouse. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he is speaking for a large number of Harvey's teammates with those words.
Whether Mets fans actually care may be another story, but we now know how at least one of his teammates feels.
Maryland guard Melo Trimble has withdrawn his name from the NBA Draft and will return to College Park for his junior season, the program confirmed officially after reports from CSN and others late Wednesday night.
After partaking in the NBA Combine in Chicago earlier this month, Trimble went through a series of workouts with teams but retained the opportunity to return to Maryland because he had not signed with an agent.
“I am really excited to return for my junior season at Maryland,” Trimble said in a release from the school. “It’s truly special that I get to continue to play in front of my family, friends and our amazing fans. I’m looking forward to working out with my teammates this summer and I am excited for what we can accomplish.
"I learned a great deal through this experience and I am committed to working hard in getting better each day. I’m appreciative of all the support that I have received from Coach Turgeon, my family and my teammates throughout this process. I look forward to continuing my education and building upon the success that we have had at Maryland.”
Trimble will be the lone returning starter from last season's Terrapins team that made the program's first Sweet 16 appearance since 2003. Rasheed Sulaimon and Jake Layman have both exhausted their eligibility. Robert Carter, Jr. and Diamond Stone both chose to forgo their remaining seasons of college eligibility and sign with agents prior to the NBA Draft.
With Trimble back, Maryland will shift from a team centered around big men to a guard-heavy team next season. Freshman point guard Anthony Cowan gives the team an opportunity to run lineups with multiple ball handlers on the floor at the same time -- which head coach Mark Turgeon has said in the past is an idea he likes.
In addition, guard Dion Wiley returns from knee surgery, wing Jared Nickens is back, plus Jaylen Brantley and freshman Kevin Huerter.
Turgeon commented on Trimble's return in a release Wednesday night.
“Melo informed me tonight that he has decided to return to Maryland for his junior season,” Turgeon said. “After gathering information throughout this process, I agree that this is the best decision for him.
"Melo is a very special person. He is a winner and his impact on our program has been immeasurable. Melo has an extremely bright future ahead of him both on and off the basketball court. We are excited that he will continue to pursue his degree and build upon his legacy in College Park.”
Apparently being an MLB All-Star and home run derby runner-up is not enough for Marlins hitting coach Barry Bonds to take a picture with you.
That's according to Dodgers outfielder Joc Pederson, a 2015 NL All-Star. He said he tried to take a picture with Bonds before a Marlins-Dodgers game last month and got rejected.
Ouch. Pederson described the interaction on Fox Sports Live and it sounds like he was pretty surprised by Bonds' reaction. Then again, who wouldn't be? It seems like a simple request.
Many athletes current and former take pictures with fans all the time and those are just fans. It would seem even more likely to get that picture if you are part of their fraternity as a pro ball player.
Here is Pederson describing the exchange on FS1: