Did Red Sox players want Bobby V. fired?

846121.jpg

Did Red Sox players want Bobby V. fired?

From Comcast SportsNet
BOSTON (AP) -- None of the Boston Red Sox players in a series of meetings with the team's top brass called for manager Bobby Valentine to be replaced, owner John Henry said Wednesday. Henry issued a statement one day after Yahoo! Sports reported that several players met with him and team president Larry Lucchino in New York on July 27 to complain about Valentine's handling of the team. Chairman Tom Werner was also at the meeting. Henry said he called the meeting, and it "quickly went to the point -- what do we need to do to turn things around?" "No one in that meeting at any time took the position that Bobby should be or needed to be replaced," Henry wrote. Henry said players took responsibility for the team's performance; the Red Sox were 57-60, 12 games out of first place in the AL East, heading into Wednesday night's game in Baltimore against the Orioles. "They weren't blaming injuries or anyone but themselves," Henry wrote. "At the same time they openly spoke about what could improve in addition to their play. They made substantive points. We addressed those points." Valentine also declined to point fingers. "Personally, I think we're in it together," he said. "I think we're going to get hot." Henry said he called a similar meeting "about this time eight years ago," a reference to the 2004 season in which the Red Sox won the World Series for first time in 86 years. This time, the meeting was divided up into three parts, Henry said, "separating groups so as to have frank discussions about what was wrong." Henry also complained in his statement about the details of the meeting going public. "I understand that when the team isn't playing up to our standards that issues are going to be sensationalized," he wrote. "But what is important for Red Sox fans to know is that ownership, players and all staff especially Bobby Valentine are determined to turn around what has thus far been an unacceptable, failed season. We are all on the same page in that regard and will not waver." Valentine also said he regretted that details had gone public, but he said that the controversy hasn't weighed on him. "If we were 10 games over .500 and in first place, he wouldn't have to make any statements," the manager said. Valentine was hired last offseason to replace Terry Francona, who was let go after the team went 7-20 in September to blow what had seemed like a certain playoff berth. Valentine said he wanted to change the culture of a clubhouse where players ate fried chicken and drank beer during games, rather than sitting in the dugout to support their teammates. Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz defended the manager. "He does his job," Buchholz said. "When something goes wrong, somebody has to be blamed for it and it's usually us. ... He's doing a good job. It's a game, man, it doesn't always work." Valentine said he planned to be back in 2013. "And 14 and '15," he said. "That's what I'm hoping."

Quick Links

Why Mack Brown's performance makes Redskins' roster choices even more difficult

Why Mack Brown's performance makes Redskins' roster choices even more difficult

TAMPA—Just when it looked like the Redskins had their running back situation settled, Mack Brown put it back into turmoil.

After rookie Keith Marshall was put on injured reserve earlier this week, it looked like the Redskins would carry three running backs in starter Matt Jones, third-down back Chris Thompson, and backup Robert Kelley.

But that was before Brown ran all over a soggy Raymond James Stadium, racking up 149 yards on 19 carries.

Included was a 60-yard touchdown run. Early in the second quarter Brown found some space up off of left guard, broke a few tackles and accelerated through the secondary and into the end zone.

MORE REDSKINS: BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS FROM PRESEASON FINALE

But it wasn’t like he didn’t do much outside of the long run. If you subtract the long TD he still averaged 4.9 yards per carry.

“Mack made some big plays. I think he did 'show up',” said head coach Jay Gruden.

Did Mack make a case for the Redskins to carry four running backs? Of course that would mean they would have to trim someone at another position and that’s not something a team can always afford to do. The process of finalizing the list of who stays and who goes will start on Thursday.

“We'll get together with the coaching staff and Scot's staff and we'll figure it out,” said Gruden. “There's a lot of guys who stated there case tonight and I'm happy to see that.”

The fact that they will have to agonize over players like Brown is a good sign.

“The harder these decisions are, the better your roster is,” said Gruden.

Quick Links

Another quality start, but another Orioles loss

Another quality start, but another Orioles loss

BALTIMORE—As August ends, it’s harder and harder to imagine the Orioles as a postseason team. Throughout the first five months of the season, the Orioles would have been a postseason team had the season ended on that day. 

After losing two of three to the American League East leading Toronto Blue Jays, the Orioles are not only four games in back of Toronto, but they’re now tied with Detroit for the second wild card. 

They ended August with a 13-16 record thanks to a 5-3 loss to the Blue Jays before 16,161 at Oriole Park on Wednesday. 

The Orioles (72-61) received three quality starts in their critical three-game series against Toronto (76-57). They lost two of those games. 

Not only was the result disappointing, but so were the crowds. The series drew just 47,775. 

In the latest installment, Yovani Gallardo allowed three runs in the first inning, then pitched well, but the Orioles could do little with Aaron Sanchez and the bullpen. 

“It’s tough, because we’re chasing them and they take two out of the three. We’ve just got to learn from it, get a good off-day tomorrow and come back stronger than we were. With September coming in, we’ve just got to compete and play hard and try to win as many games as possible,” Jonathan Schoop said. 

On Monday, Wade Miley gave up three runs in seven innings in a 5-1 loss, and Ubaldo Jimenez also allowed three in 6 2/3 innings as the Orioles won 5-3.

“I was really impressed with that, really proud of them. But it’s tough. It’s kind of frustrating. We’ve got some quality starting pitching and we were in them. The tack-on runs were tough,” Showalter said. 

Jose Bautista hit Gallardo’s first pitch for his 17th home run, and with two outs, Michael Saunders walked, and Russell Martin hit his 16th home run, and Toronto grabbed a 3-0 lead. 

Gallardo (4-7), who was won just one of 12, settled down and retired the last 10 batters he faced. He allowed three runs on five hits in six innings. 

“The first inning, the first pitch of the game, they took advantage of it,” Gallardo said.

“The one to Russell Martin, I didn’t think he got it that good. Unfortunately, it went out. It was just one of those things that was frustrating. It’s never easy for those guys to come from behind, especially in the first inning, giving up three runs in the first inning. After that I was able to put up zeroes, put up zeroes and make pitches whenever I had to, get some ground balls, get out of some tough jams.” 

Sanchez (13-2) allowed just two singles and walked two runners in the first four innings. 

With two outs in the fifth, Hyun Soo Kim and Schoop singled with Kim taking third. Manny Machado hit a slow roller to third that Josh Donaldson booted for an error. 

The Blue Jays had sent Sanchez to the minor leagues for 10 days to limit his innings. 

He allowed just the unearned run on five hits in six innings.

Mychal Givens allowed a run in the seventh on an RBI double by Devon Travis, and Saunders hit his 23rd home run of the year against Brad Brach in the eighth. It was Saunders’ seventh home run in 15 games against the Orioles this season. 

Schoop’s 21st home run of the year, a two-run shot off Roberto Osuna with two outs in the ninth made it 5-3.  

The Orioles have now lost five consecutive series to AL East opponents, and 22 of their final 28 are against their division foes. The losing troubles Showalter. 

“Of course it does. We got a month of baseball left. We got through a tough, we knew August was going to be tough, did some good things but not as many as we would have liked. We got an opportunity. A lot of baseball to be played. Anybody who sells us short doesn’t get the essence of our players. That’s fine. They’ve been doing that all year to us,” Showalter said. 

NOTES:  The Orioles hit 55 home runs in August, tying the major league record for most home runs in the month. … After Thursday’s off day, the New York Yankees come for three games beginning Friday night. Chad Green (2-3, 4.09) faces Dylan Bundy (7-5, 3.71) in the first game. On Saturday, it will be CC Sabathia (8-11, 4.31) against Kevin Gausman (6-10, 3.73). Michael Pineda (6-11, 5.12) against Miley (8-11, 5.43) on Sunday. 

Quick Links

Bourn, Stubbs to join Orioles on Friday

Bourn, Stubbs to join Orioles on Friday

BALTIMORE—The Orioles will have two new outfielders when they play the New York Yankees on Friday. 

Michael Bourn was acquired on Wednesday night from the Arizona Diamondbacks for minor league outfielder Jason Heinrich, and Drew Stubbs was claimed off release waivers from Texas earlier in the day. 

Adam Jones has missed the past five games because of a strained left hamstring, and in case he’s unable to play then, the Orioles have insurance. 

Nolan Reimold has played center field in the last four games. 

After Wednesday night’s game, manager Buck Showalter said that he liked the addition of Bourn.

“Just all-around, can play all three positions. Left-handed, veteran guy who knows his way around. Got a great reputation as a teammate and professional and brings some things we are in need of and have been for a while with Adam,” Showalter said. 

“I am hoping he is ready to play Friday but we got to prepare for if he isn’t. And Nolan has done a serviceable job for us, but it’s a place we would like to be better at if possible. And he and Stubbs have a lot of experience there.” 

Joey Rickard was placed on the 60-day disabled list, and because he won’t be available until late September, if at all because of his thumb injury, they needed a good defensive outfielder. 

Because of the addition of the two outfielders, it’s now questionable whether the Orioles will add Dariel Alvarez or Christian Walker, the only two outfielders at Norfolk who are on the 40-man roster. 

Rosters expand from 25 to 40 at midnight Wednesday, and beyond catcher Caleb Joseph and the two new acquisitions, there aren’t many certainties for additions. 

Showalter indicated that Brian Duensing, who is on the 60-day disabled list, will be added shortly, but a 40-man spot must be cleared. 

Another spot would have to be created if the Orioles decide to add an organizational favorite, infielder Paul Janish. 

The Orioles can recall pitchers Parker Bridwell, Odrisamer Despainge and Tyler Wilson because they’ve been at Norfolk for at least 10 days. 

T.J. McFarland and Mike Wright would have to wait until Norfolk’s season ends on Monday to be recalled.