A brand new contract for this NBA coach

764510.jpg

A brand new contract for this NBA coach

From Comcast SportsNet
DALLAS (AP) -- The coach who led the Dallas Mavericks to their only NBA championship is staying put. Rick Carlisle has signed a new contract with the Mavericks, a year after winning the title. While terms of the deal weren't released, owner Mark Cuban indicated in a statement Tuesday that it was for at least as long as the coach's initial four-year contract. "We are excited that Rick will be back with the Mavericks for at least the next four years," Cuban said. "He is a proven winner, a great teacher and a coach that will help the Mavericks improve as a team and as an organization." Carlisle just completed the final season of the four-year contract he got when he replaced Avery Johnson in 2008. Dallas made it to the playoffs for the 12th consecutive season, but was swept in the first round by Oklahoma City. Carlisle has a 198-114 regular season record in Dallas, and is 479-325 overall (.596 winning percentage) as a head coach. Before joining the Mavericks, Carlisle led Detroit and Indiana to the Eastern Conference finals. Cuban and Carlisle both repeatedly refused over the last several weeks of the season to discuss the coach's future. "These things, they take time and it's a very big commitment both ways and we had a lot of great conversations during the season and after the season," Carlisle said during an interview on ESPN Radio in Dallas, the team's flagship station. "I'm very happy to have the opportunity to return." Carlisle wouldn't elaborate on any details of his new contract during the extended interview. On the day after the season-ending Game 4 loss to the Thunder earlier this month, Carlisle would only say that Dallas "has been a great opportunity for me and my family and we love it here." When he attended a Texas Rangers game Sunday, he smiled without saying anything when asked about a new contract. Now that Carlisle is set to return, the Mavericks have plenty of decisions to make about players to surround 11-time All-Star forward Dirk Nowitzki, who will be 34 next season. "It's a lot of work going forward because there's going to be a lot of big decisions that have to be made," Carlisle said during his radio interview. "We've got younger guys, we've got to continue to get better and there are some unknowns which to me make it exciting, and I want to be here. So I'm glad it worked out." Jason Kidd, their 39-year-old point guard whose 1,315 career regular-season games are more than any other active player, and guards Jason Terry and Delonte West are among six Dallas players who can become free agents. The Mavs have team options on four other players, including Vince Carter and Brandan Wright. The NBA lockout last summer led to a new collective bargaining agreement with different rules that affected how Cuban put together the team. In the process, some big pieces were let go and Dallas became the league's oldest team for a condensed and shortened season. After its championship, Dallas didn't keep center Tyson Chandler, DeShawn Stevenson, J.J. Barea or Caron Butler. Chandler went to the New York Knicks and was the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year. The roster could drastically change for the second offseason in a row, though Carlisle can't and didn't specifically talk Tuesday about any potential free-agent targets. "We have a destination that is going to be a desirable destination for players and we've got a great fan base. We still have one of the greatest players in the game and one of the greatest players ever to play the game in Dirk," Carlisle said. "We're going to have a busy summer, we're looking forward to it. And we're going to be very resourceful and opportunistic."

Quick Links

VIDEO: Max Scherzer makes ridiculous between-the-legs snag vs. Orioles

screen_shot_2016-08-25_at_8.41.43_pm.png
Screenshot

VIDEO: Max Scherzer makes ridiculous between-the-legs snag vs. Orioles

Sometimes it's all about taking a stab at it. 

Nationals pitcher Max Scherzer, on a comebacker off the bat of Baltimore's Jonathan Schoop on Thursday night in D.C., simply stuck his glove between his legs and hoped for the best. It worked out. 

He made the ridiculous snag below and threw the ball to first for an out. Watch.

MORE NATIONALS: LATEST UPDATE ON STEPHEN STRASBURG

Quick Links

Strasburg plays catch, Nats say injury not in area of Tommy John surgery

Strasburg plays catch, Nats say injury not in area of Tommy John surgery

Just three days after Stephen Strasburg was placed on the disabled list with a sore right elbow, the Nats pitcher walked out to the right field at Nationals Park and played catch with a team trainer. He started close, then backed up to play long-toss.

That was a big step for Strasburg, who is on the DL for the second time this season. And, as it turns out, it was the second time already that he's played catch since the injury.

"It's coming out pretty easy. I asked him how he felt afterwards and he said he felt good, the ball was coming out pretty good," manager Dusty Baker said.

The Nationals remain confident that Strasburg's elbow is structurally sound. They now say his soreness isn't even in the same spot where his Tommy John surgery was performed in 2010.

“He knows how he feels. Doctors have poked and prodded and given them every test almost that there is. It’s not in the same area," Baker said.

Strasburg is making progress, but the Nationals still don't know when he will take the next step in his rehab, presumably when he will get on a mound to throw a bullpen session. It's encouraging that he's been throwing, but his timeline to return is still very much in limbo.

“How much time do you give him? You give him enough time for him to feel right. If he’s not right then we got to go with another option," Baker said.

[RELATED: Olympian Katie Ledecky visits Nats Park, players enthralled with medals]

SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE NATIONALS STORIES

Quick Links

Optimistic Orioles getting ready for postseason with ticket release

Optimistic Orioles getting ready for postseason with ticket release

WASHINGTON – The Orioles are hoping for the their third postseason appearance in the last five years, and they’ve emailed season ticket holders on Wednesday, telling them that postseason tickets have been reserved for them. 

Full season ticket holders will be able to purchase tickets for all postseason games.

Owners of 29-game plans can buy up tickets for up to six postseason games, including the wild card game, and 13-game plan holders can buy tickets to one game each in the Division Series, League Championship Series and World Series. 

Prices for wild card and Division Series games range between $20 and $110 for full season holders, $25 and $130 for 29-game holders and $30 to $150 for 13-game plan holders.

League Championship Series prices are between $50 and $175 for full season ticket holders, $60 and $200 for 29-game plan holders and $70 and $225 for 13-game plan holders. 

World Series ticket prices range between $100 and $280 for full season ticket holders, $115-$315 for 29-game plan holders and $100 and $350 for 13-game holders. 

A date for a public sale for postseason tickets hasn’t been announced. 

NOTES:

— Former Orioles reliever Tommy Hunter was released by Cleveland. 

— RHP Logan Ondrusek, who was recalled by the Orioles on Thursday, said his two weeks in Bowie were helpful. 

“I went down there to work on a couple of pitches and reset a little bit,” Ondrusek said. 

When he signed with the Orioles on July 29, he was a free agent who had pitched in 2015 and 2016 in Japan. 

“It was a big rush coming back from overseas and everything. Just trying to get back on track and get back to pitching like I know I can,” Ondrusek said.